The Cape Breton Highlanders may be down, but they’re not officially out for the 2019-20 National Basketball League of Canada season.
Highlanders president Tyrone Levingston told the Cape Breton Post, Monday, the team is working on some things and is hopeful the club could be saved for the upcoming season.
“We’re going to have some announcements coming soon,” said Levingston on Monday.
Earlier this month, the Cape Breton Highlanders announced they would be suspending operations indefinitely because the professional basketball team couldn’t meet deadlines set out by the league.
The league required team dues of $25,000 by July 8 and any outstanding debts owed by the team would also need to be paid.
“Anybody that knows me knows how optimistic I am,” said Levingston. “I’m always optimistic because anything could happen.”
The Highlanders had a total budget of $225,000 a year during their three seasons in Cape Breton. More established and financially secure teams have budgets of $500,000 or more.
Levingston wouldn’t confirm whether or not a new investor has joined the franchise, but noted he is working to have a team on the court at Centre 200 next season.
The National Basketball League of Canada will hold its next board of directors meeting on Aug. 6 and the Highlanders hope to have an official answer for the 2019-20 season around that date.
“We’re working on some things and if they come into fruition then we’ll be making some announcements then,” said Levingston.
“I think people will be happy to hear something, whether it’s officially a no or an officially we’re a go.”
In June, the Highlanders protected list was announced. Among the seven players on the list were Bruce Massey and Jamal Reynolds, who recently signed in Spain for next season.
Levingston said the players will remain property of the Highlanders for the time being because the team “isn’t folded.”