The Montague Fire Department responded Friday morning to a call that came in as a flue fire.
Fire chief Tommy MacLeod said the call came in at 7:25 a.m. that smoke was spotted inside the Maritime Madness business on Main Street.
Firefighters arrived on scene and were forced to break the window to the door of the business to gain entry as there was no one inside at the time.
Amiel LeBlanc, who owns the business, told The Guardian there was no flue fire or fire of any kind.
LeBlanc said the problem was with a boiler malfunction in the building that results in clouds of steam wafting through the structure, which some people took for smoke.
The store owner said other than the smashed front door, the building did not sustain any damage.
MacLeod said the department had 22 firefighters on scene until just after 8 a.m.
The fire chief’s main concern heading to the call was the fact that it was an old building and many in the area are located right next to each other.
“Naturally with those buildings being so close together, you don’t want to take any chances," MacLeod said. “But, this one wasn’t very serious."
Maritime Madness was open as per normal once the fire department left the scene.