Top News

UPDATE: Family escapes as Sherbrooke home destroyed by fire

Sherbrooke home considered a total loss after a fire engulfed it Saturday afternoon.
Sherbrooke home considered a total loss after a fire engulfed it Saturday afternoon. - Desiree Anstey

House considered a total loss after Saturday afternoon blaze

SHERBROOKE, P.E.I. - Tears filled Gordon McIntyre’s eyes Saturday afternoon, while he watched as heavy smoke spewed from his charred home of 22-years.

"We got out OK,” he choked while motioning that his wife was with a neighbour unable to talk.

Summerside firefighters battling hot spots, steam, and smoke.
Summerside firefighters battling hot spots, steam, and smoke.

“But we had to find the cat amongst the smoke because she was scared, but we got her out, along with our two dogs.”

McIntyre said his two-storey waterfront home, located at 68 Arts Road in Sherbrooke, was filled with memories.

Crews from the Summerside fire department battled the flames and heavy smoke with three pumpers and one tanker.

“When I got here it was a small fire, but with this wind blowing from over the sea it just took off,” said Summerside Fire Chief Jim Peters.

“We will be on scene for at least another hour because the problem is finding the hot spots and there is so much steam and smoke.”

McIntyre admitted he was heating a frozen pipe when it caught fire underneath.

A neighbour has offered the couple a nearby cottage for a temporary home. 

The Canadian Red Cross disaster volunteers have arranged emergency purchases like food and winter clothing, plus provided blankets and other basics for the displaced family.
The Canadian Red Cross disaster volunteers have arranged emergency purchases like food and winter clothing, plus provided blankets and other basics for the displaced family.

Neighbour Bobby Praught said, “I have a little spot on the same subdivision, so they won’t be without a home. There’s definitely a spot for them to stay.”

Disaster volunteers with the Canadian Red Cross have also arranged emergency purchases like food and winter clothing and provided blankets and other basics.

There were no injuries reported.

newsroom@journalpioneer.com

Recent Stories