Summerside’s business community took a night off Thursday to celebrate all they’ve accomplished in the past year.
It was the 25th annual Greater Summerside Chamber of Commerce Business Excellence Awards and some stalwarts of the area’s economic ecosystem were slated for recognition.
People like Devin Bulger, who won Standard Aero Employee of the Year for his work with The Humble Barber.
“It means all the hard work I’ve been doing has paid off,” said Bulger after receiving his award.
“But It means I gotta keep working hard for Summerside, I gotta keep showing up to work and doing my best.”
Chamber President Sean Aylward said the awards are always an important event for the business community and are a time when they can all take a step back and celebrate some folks who do a lot for the community.
“There’s no shortage of good entrepreneurs amongst the candidates here right now,” said Aylward.
“Summerside is really good at celebrating our sports heroes – but I don’t thing we celebrate our entrepreneurs nearly enough. The business community contributes a lot more than just brick and mortar and jobs,” he said.
There was a total of seven awards handed out Thursday night. The winners were:
- The West Isle Enterprises Award for Business Excellence (1 to 10 employees): Warren’s Carpentry
- The ADL Award for Business Excellence (more than 11 employees): Callbecks Home Hardware
- The Confederation Capital Award for Innovator of the Year: Holman’s Ice Cream Parlour
- The Standard Aero Award for Employee of the Year: Devin Bulger
- The City of Summerside Award for Community Impact: The College of Piping and Celtic Performing Arts of Canada
- The CBDC Central Award for New Business of the Year: South Central Kitchen & Provisions
- The Choose Summerside Award for People’s Choice: The Humble Barber