Tractor extensively damaged
BRAE, P.E.I. - An outbuilding in Brae sustained some charred rafters after the tractor it housed caught fire Tuesday afternoon.
Jason Greenan, acting chief of the O’Leary Volunteer Fire Department, said firefighters were able to bring the fire under control quickly.
“It was only a few seconds and we had it out,” he said. “The tractor caught fire and set the building on fire."
They were called around 5 p.m. and responded with 16 firefighters. West Point Fire Department also responded, but was turned around while en route.
Greenan said it appears the fire started around the tractor’s battery compartment. He said the middle section of the 135 Massey sustained extensive damage. He said either a passer-by or someone driving in the lane noticed the fire and called for help.
“It was just starting to get going. We’re just lucky it was seen quickly,” Greenan said.
The fire had spread to the outbuilding and was shooting out from the top of the double doors when firetrucks rolled onto the McAllar Road scene.
Greenan said the owner had used the tractor earlier in the day, then parked it in the building and went home.
“The building’s fine; we got it out quickly.”
The double doors and the rafters directly above the tractor were damaged, said Greenan.