- All classes in the Public Schools Branch and the French Language School Board are cancelled for today.
- Grace Christian School is closed today.
- Montessori School of Charlottetown is closed today.
- UPEI is closed today.
- All Holland College campuses are closed today.
- Collège de l'Île campuses are closed today.
- Study Abroad is closed today.
- Academy of Learning College is closed today.
- Atlantic Veterinary College Teaching Hospital will be delaying opening until 12 p.m. today with a further announcement at 11 a.m.. The hospital is open for emergencies only.
- All provincial civil service offices Island-wide will be closed for the day.
- The City of Charlottetown and its administrative offices will remain closed for the day due to the current and forecasted weather.
Island Waste Management Corporation:
- Due to weather conditions, all Waste Watch routes are cancelled today for carts and blue bags. The alternate collection will be on Saturday, Jan. 18. Customers are asked to ensure material is curbside by 7 a.m. as drivers may be in your area earlier than during regular collection.
Note: IWMC offices and disposal facilities are delaying opening until 10:30 a.m. with an update expected around 9:30 a.m.
Due to inclement weather and road conditions, Health P.E.I. reminds Islanders with appointments at hospitals, clinics and other health care services to call ahead to confirm their appointment – or to notify staff if they are unable to make an appointment.
Health P.E.I. will provide updates online at Health Storm Centre whenever health programs and services are impacted.
Anyone with emergency medical needs should call 911 or seek emergency services when:
- experiencing discomfort or tightness in the chest;
- experiencing unusual shortness of breath;
- experiencing abdominal pain;
- experiencing prolonged and persistent headache or dizziness;
- an injury may require stitches or involve a broken bone;
- a child has prolonged diarrhea or vomiting; or
- a baby under six months of age has a fever of 38°C (100.4°F) or higher.
Anyone with health concerns or who needs immediate health information can call 811 to speak to an experienced registered nurse for advice on the best course of action.
Information related to services impacted by the weather is available at healthpei.ca/storm-centre.
Health P.E.I. is encouraging the public to call ahead if they plan to visit any of the primary care or mental health walk-in clinics or have a scheduled medical appointment.
Contact information for primary care walk-in-clinics can found at healthpei.ca/walkinclinics.
A word from the SaltWire Network weather desk:
There will be strong winds and blowing snow across the province Friday.
SaltWire Network chief meteorologist Cindy Day says P.E.I. will experience a wind event, with wind gusts of over 80 km/h expected, with a warning in the eastern part of the Island where winds will peak at about 100 km/h.
The temperature low will be -14 C, but it will feel like -28 C.
Between 10 to 15 centimetres of snow is expected for the eastern parts of the Island, where central and western P.E.I. can expected between five and 10 cm.
A weather statement has been in issued in your region. Click here to view all local weather statements.
The SaltWire Network provides weather updates throughout the day. Check in with chief meteorologist Cindy Day by visiting Weather by Day.
Confederation Bridge – Bridge traffic restriction
For user safety, the Confederation Bridge has restricted certain classes of vehicles from crossing until the current high wind situation changes.
Restricted classes include:
- Automobiles towing tractors;
- High-sided vehicles including trucks, tractor trailers, recreational vehicles and buses.
Restrictions were put into place at 4:45 a.m. Jan. 17.
For updates, visit confederationbridge.com.
- Air Canada flight 7750 scheduled to arrive from Halifax at 9:05 a.m. has been cancelled.
- Air Canada flight 7751 scheduled to depart for Halifax at 9:20 a.m. has been cancelled.
- Air Canada flight 8536 scheduled to depart for Montreal at 11 a.m. has been delayed until 12:05 p.m.
For updates, visit flypei.com.