Experience the very best of summer in Atlantic Canada
Millicent McKay offers an insider’s guide to P.E.I.
Is tourism a trap for Atlantic Canadians?
Foraging for wild food in Atlantic Canada
Four food trucks to try in Newfoundland this summer
Underwater tourism is the ultimate immersive experience
Is Atlantic Canadian tourism doing luxury right?
CHARLOTTETOWN, P.E.I. - Opposition members started Wednesday’s question period by asking why no red flags were raised when 14 PNP applicants using the Sherwood Motel as their permanent address forfeited their deposit.
With $41 million collected by the province in forfeited PNP deposits over the past three years, PC leader James Aylward asked how government contacted those individuals.
Economic Development Minister Chris Palmer said government would contact PNP applicants who forfeited their deposit through information provided in their application.
Aylward described that as “odd” and said Palmer previously told the legislature that the province did not have contact info for some PNP applicants who used the motel as an address.
PC MLA Steven Myers also asked Palmer how many letters were mailed out to PNP forfeiters in the past three years.
Palmer said he would get that number and bring it back to the legislature.
The line of questioning came while an immigration fraud trial is underway for the Sherwood Motel owners, who allegedly provided fake P.E.I. addresses to Chinese immigrants seeking permanent residency.