A fire on Edward Street on Saturday night has claimed the life of one of the building’s occupants.
A man who was rescued from a second-storey roof was taken by ambulance to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Charlottetown. From there, he was transferred to the QEII hospital in Halifax where he later died from injuries sustained in the fire.
“We learned today that the occupant that was transferred to Halifax has passed,” said fire inspector Winston Bryan on Sept. 16.
The fire, which started in the living-sleeping area of a third-storey unit, was accidental, said Bryan.
On Sept. 14, the Charlottetown Fire Department was dispatched to 85 Edward St. at 10:20 p.m. to find an active fire at the seven-unit building.
Another occupant, David Griffin, was rescued by the fire department from the third floor.
Firefighters found Griffin slumped near the window frame. They rescued him with a ladder and helped him down, so he could be transported to the hospital.
“I was lucky to get out,” Griffin told The Guardian Sunday.
The seven other occupants were helped by the Canadian Red Cross volunteers with emergency purchases like clothing, food and other essentials. Volunteers also ensured residents had a place to stay, securing most individuals lodging while one chose to stay with family.
The fire was under control by about 3 a.m.
“The fire was contained to the third level and the roof-area,” said Bryan.
Water and smoke damaged the lower two floors. The building has been turned over the to owner.
Funeral arrangements for Troy “Redd” MacKinnon, 47, of Charlottetown are being arranged through Hennessey Cutcliffe Charlottetown Funeral Home where visiting hours will take place 4-7 p.m. Thursday. A funeral mass will take place 10 a.m. Friday, Sept. 20, from St. Dunstan's Basilica.