The Collaborative Emergency Centre (CEC) and the emergency department at Western Hospital in Alberton will be closed today due to the temporary unavailability of physician coverage. The closure is expected to be in place for a 24-hour period, from 8 a.m. Thursday, May 23 to 8 a.m. Friday, May 24. The doctor who was scheduled to cover the shift called in sick and a replacement physician was not available. A different physician is scheduled for Friday.
If anyone has health concerns or needs immediate health information, they can call 811 to speak to an experienced registered nurse for advice on the best course of action.
Anyone with urgent medical needs should call 911 or seek emergency services at the Prince County Hospital when:
- experiencing discomfort or tightness in the chest;
- experiencing unusual shortness of breath;
- experiencing abdominal pain;
- experiencing prolonged and persistent headache or dizziness;
- an injury may require stitches or involve a broken bone;
- a child has prolonged diarrhea or vomiting; or
- a baby under six months of age has a fever of 38°C (100.4°F) or higher.