- Makes: 5 dozen cookies
- Prep time: 45 minutes
- Cool/Chill time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- Cook time: 50 minutes
- Ready in: 4 hours
- Difficulty Level: Easy
Coconut-studded milk chocolate and two layers of buttery dough – one with an added hit of cocoa – make these slice-and-bake cookies an instant holiday hit. This recipe makes a large batch, but don’t feel like you have to make them all at once – simply wrap one of the logs in plastic wrap and freeze for up to three weeks.
Per cookie: 70 calories, fat 4 g (Saturated 3 g), sodium 15 mg, carbohydrate 9 g, fibre 0 g, sugars 4 g, protein 1 g
- 1 cup (250 mL) PC Unsalted Country Churned Butter, softened
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2-½ cups (625 mL) PC All Purpose Unbleached Flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- Half bar (300 g bar) PC Milk Chocolate Coconut, finely chopped (about 1-¼ cups)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cocoa powder
- Line bottom of 8-inch (2 L) square glass baking dish with parchment paper, leaving 1-inch (2.5 cm) overhang on 2 opposite sides. Set aside.
- Beat butter with sugar in large bowl using electric hand mixer until fluffy. Beat in egg, scraping down side of bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk flour with baking soda in separate large bowl. Stir half of flour mixture into butter mixture just until combined. Stir in remaining flour mixture and chocolate just until combined. Remove half of dough to separate large bowl; stir in cocoa powder.
- Press cocoa dough evenly into bottom of prepared baking dish; press white dough evenly over top. Refrigerate 15 minutes. Lifting with parchment, remove dough from baking dish and transfer to work surface. Cut dough in half; invert 1 piece over the other piece so that both white strips are in centre of stack (you should have 2 thin strips of chocolate dough with 1 wide white strip in between). Press gently to adhere. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Cut dough in half lengthwise to make two 2-inch (5 cm) wide logs. Cut each log crosswise into scant 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick slices. Arrange, 1/2 inch (1 cm) apart, on PC Non-Stick Carbon Steel Textured Cookie Sheets or parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until pale golden and tops are no longer shiny, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool completely on sheets.
Chef’s Tip: If the dough crumbles when you slice it, let it stand at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes to soften, then try slicing again.