Forty-nine UPEI students were recognized for their effective writing skills at the seventh annual MacLauchlan Prizes for Effective Writing celebration held in Don and Marion McDougall Hall on Jan. 25.
The award was established in 2011 by the MacLauchlan family to honour the premier for his contributions to UPEI while president and vice-chancellor from 1999–2011. The prizes recognize the importance of effective writing as a foundational skill for academic success and lifelong learning.
UPEI president and vice-chancellor Alaa Abd-El-Aziz congratulated the award winners and thanked the MacLauchlan family for their generosity and MacLauchlan, an accomplished writer and author, for his commitment to encouraging excellence in writing among students.
Laurie Brinklow, an award-winning author and teacher, as well as co-ordinator of the Institute of Island Studies, addressed the gathering, saying “… words have power. And brilliantly strung-together words that tell the truth have even more power. They get people’s attention. They can change the world. Dare to wield your pen. Keep doing what you are doing and maybe we have a chance.”
Business student Damilola Emmanuel and arts student Lorelei Kenny read from their award-winning submissions. The prizes were then presented by MacLauchlan.
The prizes distribute up to $30,000 annually in awards. The family has made previous contributions to the Harry W. MacLauchlan Scholarships in Entrepreneurial Leadership, MacLauchlan Arena, Robertson Library, athletic scholarships and student prizes in mathematics and entrepreneurship.
2018 MacLauchlan Prizes for Effective Writing recipients
- Faculty of arts: Matthew Edmond Arsenault, Kate Bartlett, Ryan Boulter, Robyn Dann, Conor Dever, Mariah Rose Donnelly, Emma Drake, Rachel Hamilton, Julia Erin Henderson, Lorelei Kenny, Tristan Malcolm Lewis, Megan Lane MacDonald, Fallon Anne Mawhinney, Tanner McCabe, Luo Qiang, Taylor Quinn, Nick Scott, Wanyi Shangguan, Brianna Squires, Karina Terentiev, Michaela Wipond
- Faculty of business: Damilola Emmanuel, Brian Young
- Faculty of education: Lois Barnett, Hailey Hennessey, Katherine Murray, Hannah Roberts, Marianne Tremblay-Abel
- Faculty of nursing: Jonelyn Dehaan, Brad Halman, Jaime Leigh Macdonald, Marie Antoinette Gue Pangan
- Faculty of science: Kerri Ballum, Stephanie Cairns, Emma Campbell, Madison Faith Clarke, Alycia Maribeth Cooper, Jasmine Grace Frizzell, Marlee Gregory, Hillary Isleifson, William McQuaid, Precious Oluwabukunm Ojo, Mark Saunders, Maeve Studley, Emma Taylor, Zachary Theriault, Mangyu Zang
- Faculty of veterinary medicine: Jessica D’Amico, Jihyun Kelly Yoo
- Faculty/staff: Sean Weibe, faculty of education