A free shuttle service will be offered in conjunction with next week’s Blue Rodeo concert in Summerside.
The service is a first for the community and is being offered as a pilot project funded by Explore Summerside and the Summerside Accommodations Levy.
The idea is to provide transportation for music fans to and from the Feb. 8 Credit Union Place concert, while also giving a boost to local restaurants and motels, said JP Desrosiers, the city’s community services director.
“Summerside has become known for its ability to attract many events and this is due in part to ticket holder’s continuous support of our events. We wanted to create yet another reason for ticket buyers to be rewarded for joining us at our shows,” said Desrosiers. “Additionally, the goal is to increase the business opportunities for local accommodations and restaurant operators to take advantage of the thousands of ticket holders who will be in the city for Blue Rodeo and what better way than to drop them off at their door step.”
There will be two shuttle buses ferrying people from several pick up/drop off locations, mostly in the city’s downtown. The buses will return riders to the same locations after the show. The service is free for anyone who shows proof of a ticket to the concert.
The Silver Fox Entertainment Complex is one of the shuttle stops. The facility’s general manager, Gordon Lapp, praised the initiative.
“I think it’s a great idea,” he said. “People do go out for a bite to eat before (the shows), maybe a drink afterwards – it’s Friday night. So, we hope to try to capitalize on people wanting to continue on with their evening,” he said.
Lapp added that offering shuttles to concert venues is something other large cities regularly do, but it has been something Summerside lacked until now. He’s hopeful this pilot project will be well-used and become par for the course for big shows here.
The shuttle schedule is available online at exploresummerside.com/news.
- 6:35 p.m. shuttle leaves Summerside Motel
- 6:35p.m. leaves Brothers Two
- 6:45 p.m. leaves Open Eats
- 6:50 p.m. leaves Silver Fox
- 6:50 p.m. leaves Uncle Mikes on Water Street
- 6:55 p.m. leaves the Loyalist Country Inn
- 7 p.m leaves Causeway Bay Hotel
- 7:05 p.m arrives at Credit Union Place
- 7:20 p.m shuttle leaves Summerside Motel
- 7:20 p.m leaves Brothers Two
- 7:30 p.m leaves Open Eats
- 7:35 p.m leaves Silver Fox
- 7:35 p.m leaves Uncle Mikes on Water Street
- 7:45 p.m leaves the Loyalist Country Inn
- 7:45 p.m leaves Causeway Bay Hotel
- 7:50 p.m arrives at Credit Union Place