WADE BABINEAU EDITORIAL CARTOON: Saturday, March 28, 2020
CINDY DAY: MMM...marvellous maple
World Meteorological Week
FIDDLER'S FACTS: A disappointing end for Summerside Western Capitals
City of Charlottetown purchasing state-of-the-art drone for police ...
MARGARET PROUSE: During times like this, it's easy to find a bit of ...
VIDEO: P.E.I. man writes, directs $1 million thriller expected to ...
P.E.I. woman looking to be next Inked Magazine cover girl
SALLY COLE: A timely tale for P.E.I.
In the modern world of fast and immediate we also see a trend towards handmade goods, especially in items like soaps and jewelry.
A more recent trend, however, has been a return to men’s tailored clothing. This is where John Requa owner of Johnny Custom comes in.
Working online at johnnycustom.ca and from his home shop, Requa makes custom suits for clients. He will come to the client to take the measurements.
He has worked in the menswear business most of life, starting as a child in his father’s store in Brockville, Ont., to eventually being the suit buyer for Eaton’s and then starting his clothing agency selling clothing lines to stores all over the United States and Canada.
Requa eventually decided to retire but as he was winding down his career he noticed the trend toward custom men’s clothing and quickly Johnny Custom was born.
“I love working one-on-one and providing my customers with the best service possible. I know this business and nothing gives me more pleasure than to develop a new relationship and sell a perfect fitting suit,” he says.
Requa offers a wide variety of fabrics to create a custom suit that best fits you or tailored to special events. A custom suit cost $795. He also has a selection of in-stock suits that are pieced together from varying sized separates, so if you have a 46 jacket but a 32 pant he can get you as close to you proper size for $595. Johnny Custom also offers blazers, shirts, sweaters and more.
Here are some more retail highlights and happenings:
• In what appears to be one of the taste trends in metro this year. Red Chillies restaurant at 936 Bedford Highway is expanding its offering to add groceries from the Indian subcontinent, dubbed Red Chillies Bazaar.
Coming Soon.... We are pleased to announce the grand opening of "Redchillies Bazaar" (Near to Redchillies) to provide...Posted by RedChillies on Wednesday, February 12, 2020
• Dust Jacket Books, which found a new home in Halifax's Brewery Market after leaving the basement of Maritime Centre in 2018, is closing up shop at the end of March.
• Pier 1 Imports has filed for bankruptcy protection in the United States and has decided as part of their restructuring to close all locations in Canada including the Halifax Shopping Centre Annex and Dartmouth Crossing.
• Starbucks is saying goodbye to Mic Mac Mall sometime this spring, but new Starbucks are on their way to Superstores. Construction has already begun on one at the Joe Howe location, and I have heard (but unconfirmed) they will also be opening at the Portland Street and Barrington Street Superstore locations.
• Bramoso Pizzeria and Beer Bar has closed its shop in Halifax's Quinpool Centre.
• The Kitchen is back open at Gus' Pub on Agricola Street but this time it is being run in house. The menu includes burgers and tacos but it will be expanding.
• Taco Lina's, which was once operated the kitchen at Gus’ Pub, has reopened in Cafe Lara a few blocks away.
Have you heard the hot taco rumour? We’ve moved in to the cute Café Lara. Find us there Saturday and Sunday this week...Posted by Taco Lina's on Wednesday, February 19, 2020
• Looks like things at Mic Mac Mall have changed a bit with European sporting goods discounter Decathlon now taking over the recently vacated Forever 21 space instead of opening its location beneath Linen Chest. The store, originally slated to open in spring 2021, is now set to open this fall.
• Pomodoro Pizza in Lower Sackville is now Peppery Pizza and Poutine. It has a dozen different poutines and Pictou County-style pizza on the menu.
When we say we have a lot of poutines to choose from..we mean A LOT! Here are some of our masterpieces: Chicken Shawarma Poutine and Onion Rings PoutinePosted by Peppery Pizza and Poutine on Thursday, February 20, 2020