PEI Tourism Subsidizing Flights

In regard to the CBC'c recent story about the tourism department is spending 75-thousand dollars to subsidize the flights of some Americans to P.E.I.

I can appreciate that the idea is to get those people here for the first time by making their flights affordable.

Do I think that it is a good idea in a rough tourism climate? Not a chance... but this is typical thinking from organizations like this...

Why not simply offer all visitors from specific target markets a rebate on their before tax money that they spend anywhere on PEI? They could apply by submitting receipts and be sent either a cash rebate equal to 10% or discount vouchers equal to 15% that would be honored on their next visit.

Not only does this encourage return visit and allow tourism to see where visitors actually spend their money, but could also create a few additional jobs for islanders to process the rebates. Quite a few of these jobs should be created after the highest tourist times thereby extending season for tourism-related employment.

John Getson Richmond, PE

Comments

Comments

• Glen DuBois
    April 27, 2013 - 13:16

I am from Boston, but I have owned a cottage in P.E.I. for over ten years and my family spent summers on the island for over fifty years. Over the years I have seen a lot Of waste in the tourism budget. My friends who all golf don't even know a thing about the great course. These guys have families that would love to see unspoiled beaches bike trails, great dinning, etc.... No one ever markets the Island the right way. Fly back in time, to pristine golf courses, unspoiled beaches, great seafood, local fresh fair and people that will become your instant friend.

• SG
    August 17, 2012 - 19:36

This Article was published July 16, 2011 (Last Year).

• WHO AND WHERE
    March 03, 2012 - 08:40

Who comes up with these hairbrained ideas and where does the Government find them. Do they run ads off Island advertising jobs in Tourism for ideas that make no sense .

• Ken Maxwell
    February 02, 2012 - 16:04

If they are playing rebates for travellers why not also include Canadian tax payers ? We like to visit P.E. I. too. This way the government would not have to return any of the hated GST !

• NOT AWARE
    August 25, 2011 - 16:13

I guess you are not aware that all tourist get their GST back. All they have to do is send in thier receipts when they reurn home and a cheque is sent to them for all the GST that they were charged.

• John Getson
      August 26, 2011 - 20:00

I was aware of the GST rebate, which is a federal rebate. I was specifically proposing a rebate of provincial sales taxes paid. Hence the 10% cash rebate indicated - this would be revenue neutral. he other option proposed was a 15% credit voucher - costs to be shared between provincial government (10%) and contributing tourism organizations (5%)

• Mark Wallace
      October 24, 2011 - 15:58

The program by which foreign tourists got their GST money back was discontinued a couple of years ago. It was more trouble than it was worth.