Summerside firefighters respond to trash bin and kitchen fires

Mike Carson
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

SUMMERSIDE  - Firefighters from Summerside Fire Services were called three times over the past week to deal with fires at three residential properties.

Summerside Fire Department

 

On Tuesday night, firefighters responded to 20 Arthur Holland Drive after a trash bin caught fire.

Fire Chief Jim Peters said the call came in around 10:30 p.m. that a garbage bin was on fire.

“It burnt the side of the house on the outside,” Peters said. “There was a window burnt out. We had to open that all up to make sure the fire was out in the wall. Then we covered it with plywood because of the storm coming.”

Peters said the direct cause of the fire isn’t known but did say that something in garbage can triggered the fire.

“Over the weekend we had a call to a Chestnut Avenue home,” he said. “The lady of the house got minor burns to her face and arms trying to carry the burning pot out the door. When she opened the door it all flared back on her.”

Peters said on Tuesday, firefighters responded to a kitchen fire in Linkletter.

“There was quite a bit of damage to the kitchen,” he said. “It involved late night cooking. We seem to have a lot of kitchen fires in the last few months. It seems to be people getting pre-occupied with other things. It’s not all late night cooking. The one the other day, the people were in the other room eating their meal and let something on the stove.”

mcarson@journalpioneer.com  

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments