CHARLOTTETOWN, P.E.I. – Prince Edward Island’s new Municipal Government Act comes into effect this Saturday, Dec. 23.
The act establishes consistent rules and procedures for municipalities while providing them greater authority, flexibility and discretion.
It replaces the former Municipalities Act, Charlottetown Area Municipalities Act and City of Summerside Act.
Key areas of change relate to:
- New structure and service requirements
- How elections are held
- Council composition and conduct
- Administrative expectations
- Accessing municipal information and privacy protection
- Areas of municipal jurisdiction
- Powers of the minister responsible
- Financial matters