Top News

Investigation ongoing for trees cut on private property and buffer zone

Gordon and Vivian Hill are hoping for closure for an incident which left trees on their property and adjacent areas chopped down. The investigation is currently ongoing with the public providing tips to the RCMP and environmental officers.
Gordon and Vivian Hill are hoping for closure for an incident which left trees on their property and adjacent areas chopped down. The investigation is currently ongoing with the public providing tips to the RCMP and environmental officers. - Submitted

RCMP are still accepting tips and property owners are hoping for closure in the case

BELL’S POINT – Vivian and Gordon Hill are hoping to have closure soon, for an incident which left trees on their property and adjacent areas chopped down.

The incident is believed to have taken place on Nov. 4, 2017, around 11:30 a.m., she explained.

“We’ve had a lot of people come forward providing tips to the RCMP and the investigation is ongoing. I think we’re getting close.”

Initially, it was believed that about 30 trees had been cut down from their property and the nearby environmental buffer zone.

“Now it looks like there was about 70 trees cut on our property, the adjacent one and the buffer zone. It’s elevated the seriousness of the incident,” said Vivian.

Gordon is a native of the Borden-Carleton area, and the couple were planning on building their dream cottage/secondary home on the property.

Gordon Hill, left, with daughter Caroline, wife Vivian.
Gordon Hill, left, with daughter Caroline, wife Vivian.

 

She also says that there have been witness reports of two individuals on the properties on the morning of Nov. 4.

Because the investigation is ongoing, the RCMP could not confirm or deny details about the case, said Sgt. Darrell Gill of the Prince District RCMP.

“The investigation is continuing, and we are still accepting tips from the public.”

He says incidents like this are not common on P.E.I.

“We’ve gotten calls in the past about property squabbles and disputes, but every now and again there will be a call about trees on properties cut down.”

The Hills have also increased the reward from $1,000 to $5,000.

“This isn’t about laying blame or faulting someone, it’s more about closure and letting the authorities do what they need to do,” Vivian concluded.

millicent.mckay@journalpioneer.com

Recent Stories