Police and a tow truck operator clear debris off the highway after the burned-out shell of a 2005 Ford van is loaded onto a flatbed Monday afternoon in Inverness. No one was injured but the van was destroyed.
INVERNESS -- Tyne Valley Fire Department doused a 2005 Ford Freestar van with fire retardant foam Monday afternoon and then directed traffic while a towing company removed the destroyed vehicle from the scene.
Tyne Valley Fire Chief Lowell Palmer said the van operators had just purchased a camper trailer in O’Leary and were en route back to Summerside with it when the van encountered problems. He said the driver pulled to the side of Veterans Memorial Highway in Inverness after his vehicle started to lose power. He said it is likely the transmission overheated and caused the van to catch fire.
Passersby helped disconnect the camper from the van and pushed it out of the way. The camper escaped damage.