Meat Loaf reminisces about 'Bat Out of Hell' ahead of Toronto musical launch
TORONTO — "Bat Out of Hell" is one of the biggest selling albums in music history, but Meat Loaf says his rock opus was more of a slow burn with critics out of the gates.
Paper Lions band members are, from left, Rob MacPhee, David Cyrus MacDonald, John MacPhee and Colin Buchanan.
CHARLOTTETOWN, P.E.I. – May Run Music Festival concluded with a flourish Sunday night in Charlottetown with the Music PEI Awards Party in the afternoon followed by the May Run Meltdown at the Florence Simmons Performance Hall.
Twenty-nine awards were handed out Sunday afternoon with Paper Lions walking away with four new trophies including Pop Recording of the Year, Video of the Year, Digital Achievement of the Year and Group Recording of the Year which, for the first time in recent memory, was a tie that resulted in Ten Strings and a Goat Skin also taking home the hardware.
Ten Strings and a Goat Skin picked up two more awards Sunday afternoon: Album of the Year and Roots Recording of the Year. Newcomer Kinley, who won SOCAN songwriter of the year earlier in the week, picked up two more awards on Sunday afternoon, New Artist of the Year and Female Recording of the Year.
“Each year I am continually impressed with the development and maturing of the Island music industry. Island artists continue to make their mark at home, across Canada, and around the world and their accomplishments make all of us proud,” stated Music P.E.I. board of directors president, Darcy Campbell.
“There were so many highlights to the week it would be impossible to pick just one.”
Multiple Music P.E.I. award winners included Dylan Menzie who won Male Solo Recording of the Year and Entertainer of the Year; Jon Matthews who took home two awards for Live Production Professional of the Year and Producer of the Year; and Garnet Buell who was awarded the first Community Contributor of the Year award as well as the Lifetime Achievement award. A total of 30 Music P.E.I. awards were awarded during May Run Music Festival 2017.
HL: And the awards go to…
Full list of Music P.E.I. 2017 Award recipients:
● HopYard Album of the Year - Ten Strings and a Goat Skin
● Roots Recording of the Year - Ten Strings and a Goat Skin
● Video of the Year - Paper Lions
● Holland College School of Performing Arts New Artist of the Year – KINLEY
● Phillips Agri Services Country Recording of the Year - Old Stone Station
● Group Recording of the Year - Paper Lions & Ten Strings and a Goat Skin *tie*
● Cover Band/Artist of the Year - Ben Gallant
● Live Music Programmer of the Year - Cynthia MacLeod
● Downtown Charlottetown Recording Studio of the Year - The Hill Sound Studio
● Charlottetown Airport Touring Artist of the Year - The East Pointers
● Visual Artist of the Year - Lorne Miller
● PEI Symphony Orchestra Achievement in Classical or Jazz Music - Atlantic String Machine
● Long & McQuade Live Music Production Professional of the Year - Jon Matthews
● Educator of the Year - Chuck Arsenault
● Male Solo Recording of the Year - Dylan Menzie
● Red Island Hospitality Pop Recording of the Year - Paper Lions
● Female Solo Recording of the Year – KINLEY
● SOCAN Songwriter of the Year – KINLEY
● Rock/Urban Recording of the Year - The Royal North
● Maritime Electric Entertainer of the Year - Dylan Menzie
● Digital Achievement of the Year - Paper Lions
● Musician of the Year - Nick Doneff
● Producer of the Year - Jon Matthews
● Venue of the Year - The Albert & Crown Pub & Eatery
● Volunteer of the Year - Edmond & Zita Gallant
● Bell Aliant Community Contributor of the Year - Garnet Buell
● Ticketpro Event of the Year - PEI Mutual Festival of Small Halls
● Industry Professional of the Year - JP DesRosiers
● Rooted To The Island - Richard Knox
● Lifetime Achievement - Garnet Buell