Top News

Energy partnership helps Summerside sponsor Special Olympics

Special Olympics olympian Paul Phillips, left, gold medalist Janet Charchuk and Summerside Mayor Bill Martin thank sponsors for the 2018 Special Olympics recently. The city announced it would contribute $10,000 to the Special Olympics event happening on P.E.I. -Ethan Paquet/Journal Pioneer
Special Olympics olympian Paul Phillips, left, gold medalist Janet Charchuk and Summerside Mayor Bill Martin thank sponsors for the 2018 Special Olympics recently. The city announced it would contribute $10,000 to the Special Olympics event happening on P.E.I. -Ethan Paquet/Journal Pioneer - Submitted

By Ethan Paquet

SUMMERSIDE – The City of Summerside may have been unable to sponsor the 2018 Special Olympics bowling event if it wasn’t for a cheque the city received as part of its solar energy deal with Samsung Renewable Energy.

The $120,000 cheque gave the city the opportunity to fund events in the community, including the bowling event happening on P.E.I. in May, which the city contributed $10,000 towards, Mayor Bill Martin said during a speech at Credit Union recently.

“We couldn’t have said yes without the contribution.”

The event has an impressive amount of sportsmanship regardless of who the winners are, Martin said.

“You know, it has an appropriate name. It’s called the special olympics, and it truly is special.”

The Special Olympics was founded by Eunice Kennedy Shriver in 1968 and will celebrate its 50th anniversary this year. The bowling event will take place from May 14 to 20 in Summerside, Charlottetown and Tyne Valley.

Recent Stories