Speeding out of hand on Read Drive: councillor

Nancy
Nancy MacPhee

SUMMERSIDE - Cory Thomas calls it Read Drive Speedway.
"You don't have to go to Oyster Bed Bridge. You're invited to come sit at my deck for free and watch races," said the councillor and Meadow Heights resident.

SUMMERSIDE - Cory Thomas calls it Read Drive Speedway.
Thomas is fed up with speeding on Read Drive, and he's asked council to approach the Province about taking over policing of the section of highway.
"Speed has been a contentious issue on Read Drive since before I got elected," he said after council's monthly meeting. "The only solution that I can see is for us to take over policing of Read Drive. That way our police can sit there and do radar and we can put our speed dolly out there and we can control what we do out there."
In its 1995 amalgamation agreement with the Province a deal was made that the city would police provincial highways within city boundaries.
But RCMP currently patrols sections of highway within the city's boundaries - Route 2, from the Granville Street intersection to Slemon Park, and Read Drive, from the Red Bridge to the Cavendish fertilizer plant in Travellers Rest.
Thomas said the RCMP has enough ground to cover without policing those areas.
His pleas for the Province to reduce the speed limit on all of Read Drive to 50 km/h have fallen on deaf ears.
Thomas now hopes headway is made on this issue.
He said the intersection's reconfiguration in 2004 did cut down on accidents in the area but did little to deter speeders.
"If there's a red light people slow down and it takes them a while to speed back up. But, if you're heading towards Kensington and you're going by Meadow Heights subdivision the cars are just flying there."
Monday night, he brought up the issue at council's monthly meeting.
There was no open opposition to his idea from his fellow councillors.
Another option would be to have RCMP and city police partner in patrolling Read Drive and other sections of provincial highway within city limits, he added.

nmacphee@journalpioneer.com

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: Meadow Heights, Granville Street, Slemon Park Red Bridge Travellers Rest Kensington

Comments

Comments

• Hmmm...
    June 21, 2010 - 19:08

Is this the road rage blog? yikes

• Solution
    June 21, 2010 - 19:08

Put up that new scary speed teller thing--I thought that was supposed to be money well spent. Wa wa wa...

• Honest
    June 21, 2010 - 19:07

Well since all places to post a comment on the wind farm are locked i will make one here. The windfarm is a waste of taxpayers money as we are not going to see a dime off of our bills. The so called 25% of the citys power it is going to create is being used towards the citys debt instead of helping out the tax payers during a recession. So i wouldn't be so quick to praise Basil and the city for such a farse of a project. Sorry to post this here aswell, but all the windfarm places to post on here are locked.

• Summerside driver
    June 21, 2010 - 19:07

The worst habit EVER is the drivers pulling to the LEFT to avoid breaking while the driver in front of them is turning right!!! It is so dangerous and stupid!!! I saw a driver just miss a car in the same lane by about 1 second!!! You would never see this in big cities. They would be dead!!! I guarantee there will be a a few deaths causes by this stupid and lazy driving habit!!!

• Angel
    June 21, 2010 - 19:07

There is currently speeding on many roads in summerside and many dangerous drivers. Maybe the 40 police officers the tax payers are paying for can take some of those dodge chargers and the new van out and actually do the job they are paid to do for once.

• Try This...
    June 21, 2010 - 19:06

Add some rumble strips along a few sections of the road and have the speed limit posted where the strips are.

When you hit those strips you take notice, and it may be enough for a few drivers to slow down a bit, it won't stop all, but it is a cheap start to make people more aware.

• potholes
    June 21, 2010 - 19:06

Take some of the huge potholes from Water Street West and put them on Read Drive...I guarantee that will slow them down...or rip their axles off!!!

• George
    June 21, 2010 - 19:06

Cars that drive themselves, now thats something to look forward to, no more drunken driving, no more recklessness like drag racing or speeding, no more people WEALTHY OR POOR dying because of this narcisistic stupidity.

• just a reader
    June 21, 2010 - 19:06

GIVE IT UP THERE ARE SPEEDERS EVERWHERE IN SUMMERSIDE NOT ONLY READ DRIVE. SO WHY MAKE SUCH A BIG DEAL ABOUT IT, IT ISN'T GOING TO CHANGE ANYTHING CAUSE THE COPS DON'T DO THEIR JOB THEY ARE NEVER AROUND WHEN THERE IS CRAZY DRIVERS.

• TheQuiet
    June 21, 2010 - 19:06

I live on Read Drive as well and often walk up to the trail or down to the corner - it is NOT safe!
    Between people passing at crazy speeds, others pulling over to the shoulder to let the speeders pass - On one occasion I literally had to take the ditch - neither driver even slowed down.
    Also - ATV's and Dirtbikes - with NO license plates or identifiable markings are Speeding through farmers fields - crossing the highway with little regard for traffic.
    'We' watched 5 of them 2 nights ago - the ONLY thing they were doing that was legal was wearing helmets!

• me
    June 21, 2010 - 19:06

For a small province, I think PEI has the worst drivers or close to it (other than quebec) in Canada. For some strange reason, ppl here do not like to use signal lights, always in a hurry to pass you only to turn at the next exit. Read Drive is the new race track for Summerside. I also live in that area. Try getting out of the parking lot at the Esso to turn left onto Read Drive, you are taking your life in your hands. The cars speed up going around the exit turn off water st at the lights. Something needs to be done and done soon before someone is killed

• just a reader
    June 21, 2010 - 19:05

• Kit
    June 21, 2010 - 19:04

I realize there is speeding all over the Island and I also think that some speed limits posted are a little too low, but they are their for our safety. The 40km on McEwen is really hard to follow. I feel like I am crawling up that road. But I also know it is there for a reason. There is a school on that road. We have all exceded the limit at one time or another, whether it be we are listening to music, or talking to friends and just not noticing our speed, and I am not saying that is an excuse. I just think we need to be more careful. The excess speed doesn't bother me, it's the people who are weaving in and out of traffic, just to get ahead 10 feet, or the person going 100 up McEwen road talking on their cellphone. Just be careful people. If you are going to be late for something, don't take it out on the other drivers. When we get behind the wheel we should take our lives and those around us into consideration. Somebody doesn't need to get hurt because you slept through your alarm!! Slow down.

• Kit
    June 21, 2010 - 19:04

I live around the area also, and hear the zooming vehicles all the time. The other day I was stopped to turn into my driveway, and the car behind me went around the right of me to pass. Meanwhile the lady on a bike coming up the same side had to swerve her bike toward the ditch to avoid getting hit by the idiot that passed me on the right!!!! What is up with that. I try now to stay as far to the right as I can so these idiots can't pass me. And you can give me the finger, and honk your horn all you want. YOU are in the wrong. How would you like it if you knew your child dies cause an idiot passed like that and slammed into her as she is walking or biking along the shoulder of the road. THINK about that next time you can't wait a few seconds for a car to turn. HAVE A NICE SAFE DAY!

• Kit
    June 21, 2010 - 19:04

Well after that accident years ago when a guy pulled around to the right of a car to avoid stopping , I do not pull around anymore. The person in front was stopped to allow another person to cross the road, and the guy behind ended up dragging him with the car when he hit him as he pulled around to the right. It was a horrible accident and this person and the victims families have to live with this for the rest of their lives. Take a few seconds and stop. It could save a life.

• Thisis
    June 21, 2010 - 19:04

I live in the west end, cars zoom by my house doing at least 80 km/h, my sidewalk is effed, and my road sucks...but then again there is no town councilor living in the area, so I guess it is ok there. Do what I do, put something hazardous on the road and when the cars come up to it fast they will slow down...trust me.

• RJ
    June 21, 2010 - 19:03

Personally I think some of the worst drivers around here are over 65, they pull out without looking, they creep around doin 20klm which can cause a accident. I think after 65 drivers should be tested on a yearly basis. Just my opinion.

• Honest
    June 21, 2010 - 19:03

This could be easily solved by what i said earlier. There is more than enough police officers and BRAND NEW chargers and vans to do something about this. But like the norm our tax dollars do nothing except get them nice new cars and a nice new speed sign that they didn't.

• what is up with that
    June 21, 2010 - 19:02

this comment is the one the Quiet Life -Quoted I sure hope it doesn't take the death of one of our Wealthy citizens for something to be done. What does this mean ??? if it is someone less wealthy nothing would get done??? get your head out of your A@@. Get over yourself