Record crowd watches Kebs beat Storm

Mike Carson

SUMMERSIDE – A record crowd turned out for the Summerside Storm’s Islander Day matchup against the Quebec Kebs.

Shaun Fountain, 5, of the Quebec Kebs looks to go around the Summerside Storm’s Julian Allen, 24, during Monday afternoon’s National Basketball League of Canada game at EastLink Arena in Summerside.

The announced crowd of 4,017 fans were treated to a fast-paced, high scoring contest that featured the home team falling just short 123-114.

Down 31-25 after the opening quarter, the Storm fought back to lead 57-52 at halftime.

Quebec outscored the Storm 34-24 in the third quarter to take an 86-81 lead after three quarters. Summerside mounted a rally, but just couldn’t overcome the hot-shooting Kebs.

Storm head coach Joe Salerno said three-point shots played a role in the game’s outcome.

“They go 10-of-19 from three, we go five-of-27 and that’s a big difference,” he said. “We didn’t shoot the ball that well, and we ran into a very good team who played well today (Monday).”

Salerno said every time the Storm got within striking distance, the Kebs answered back.

“It just seemed like every time we were in a striking position they’d hit big shot after big shot,” Salerno said. “It’s tough. It can get frustrating.

“I thought there were some calls that didn’t go our way late in that game tonight. It’s a tough loss to take.”

Led all scorers

Quebec’s Ralphy Holmes led all scorers with 32 points while James (Boo) Jackson contributed 30.

Louie McCroskey was the Storm’s leading scorer with 23. Mike Williams, Troy Jackson and Julian Allen all had 18 points.

Salerno said the Storm didn’t get as many chances at the free-throw line as they normally do, and that was because of shot selection.

“We settled for a lot of jumpers,” he said. “When you’re not shooting the ball well, you need to get stuff going to the rim.”

Kebs assistant coach Dennis Truax said he wasn’t surprised at how tough the Storm played.

“We had a little lull and they’re a very good team,” he said. “Summerside is a lot better than what their record indicates.

“The guys can shoot the ball. They’re all good players. We made some adjustments at halftime, and made a nice little run and were able to keep doing what we were doing.”

Truax said the Kebs pounded the ball inside, which led to points and rebounds.

mcarson@journalpioneer.com

Geographic location: Quebec

Comments

Comments

• Thatswhathesaid
    February 22, 2012 - 09:04

I heard that these guys are making $5000 a month/each from a reliable source. However this is Summerside, and everything gets exaggerated. So, add on top of that the fancy new cars the coaches or staff of the CUP are driving + coaches salary etc...I think we've got a pretty expensive team here. I'd like for someone to correct me if I'm way off with that price, but if I'm not...whoa. First let Basil throw away 1.3 million (um...you guys still remember that right) and it gets buried. Now we have a basketball team in a hockey town? Don't get me wrong, the guys on the team are great people and very respecful of our community. But for people living paycheck to paycheck in this town, I think we could use the money for other things. Namely, Summerside.

• Fan
      February 23, 2012 - 08:10

Heh THATSWHATHESAID....Time for you to understand whats going on. Its a privately owned team and salaries are paid to the players like any business or corporation. The city has nothing to d with it at all. UNREAL...Everyone please stop trying to find something wrong with everything thats done around here. Thats the biggest problem !!!

• Mike
    February 21, 2012 - 16:40

To Brenda,if you like basketball why don't you stay home and watch it on t.v.since you complain about everything.I have watched every game too and i will go back next year.So maybe you can get up on the floor.

• Cory
    February 21, 2012 - 14:49

I totally agree that the game was great as were the other games I attended. That being said, I think unless city officials are up front and tell us the cost to taxpayers having this team here then I think they should leave. The team is great in the community and am really impressed with the organization, but I feel as usual we are misled by our elected officials of our city. Originally the team was at no coast what so ever to the city and after the fact it was revealed that the city did spend money on this and have contributed money. Also it has become public knowledge that the storm is requesting more from the city and also requesting to have more court time. Having the court set up for pratices. It is a hockey arena and I think that the current situation hurts minor hockey and other arena users enough that this should not be considered. I wish the team to have success and hopefully stay, but this should not come as a cost to taxpayers.

• Brenda
    February 21, 2012 - 08:02

The game was great . I have attended most of the games this year and really enjoy them. Thank you for bring basketball to Summerside. To Credit Union Place, save some money and turn down the cold air . I was in section E row L and I had to keep my winter coat on and my neck wrapped because of the old air blowing on us. I was uncomfortable and CUP could have saved some money. The other thing I did not like was the singing of Oh Canada - 90% of it was in French. I realize that in Canada we have to do everything 50/50 - and had I been in a French community instead of Summerside I would have been fine with this - but I object to have only the last 2 or 3 lines of Oh Canada sung in French.

• Bobandy
      February 21, 2012 - 15:13

Hi Brenda, I'm going to assume that it has something to do with the fact that IT'S A FRIGGIN' RINK!

• Capsfan
      February 22, 2012 - 22:22

Come to a Caps game, the anthem usually has no French in it at all, The Anthem should be 50 -50 50 percent in English and 50% en Francais. But I assume it is some what up to the noble soul who sings the anthem, As to the temperature, I find the temperature there to warm, I am at a hockey game and most of the people are in their shirt sleeves, warmest rink I have ever been in,