Storm wins second straight

Mike Carson

SUMMERSIDE – The Summerside Storm made it two wins in a row Friday night, taking down the Saint John Mill Rats 112-98 in an aggressive and hard-fought game in the National Basketball League (NBL) of Canada.

Mike Williams of the Summerside Storm is surrounded by Saint John Mill Rats during second-quarter action of Friday night’s National Basketball League of Canada contest in Summerside. The Mill Rats are, Steve DeLuca, 33; PJ Young, 34; Modibo Diarra, 42, and Jerome Brown, 23.

The Storm came out flat, and quickly found themselves down by four points. With only 1:38 gone in the first quarter, Storm head coach Joe Salerno didn’t like what he was seeing, and called a timeout before some of the announced crowd of 2,144 had an opportunity to get settled in their seats.

“Sometimes they just need a little jump start,” Salerno said. “This is about being mentally tough.

“Teams do go on runs, and you do have to react to those runs. I thought we did a pretty good job in the second half tonight (Friday).

“We didn’t come out with as much fire as I wanted us to tonight. I thought, in the second half, we played a little better.

“These guys want to win, they’re competitive. Sometimes you get off to a slow start, which we did tonight.

“I was glad to see that we refocused in the second half.”

Salerno said the team was “good in spurts.”

He added: “We had a couple of lapses. We’re still learning our rotation, but the aggressiveness, it’s coming and once we’re playing that aggressive all the time I think we can be a bear.”

The game was a sea-saw affair throughout the first quarter, with both teams struggling from the floor. There was little to choose from an offensive standpoint as the quarter ended with the Storm leading 21-20.

Saint John, led by Antoine Tisby, took control in the second period. Tisby led all scorers with 20 points.

The Storm defence kept the home team close, and opened the door for some key buckets by Julian Allen, Mike Williams and Xavier Hansbro.

Both Williams and Hansbro each had 19 points to lead the Storm.

“We had a couple of lapses. We’re still learning our rotation, but the aggressiveness, it’s coming and once we’re playing that aggressive all the time I think we can be a bear.” Storm head coach Joe Salerno

In the second half, the Mill Rats shot 24-for-43 while Summerside managed to go 23-for-47 from the floor.

Big difference

A big difference came from the line with Summerside hitting 18-of-20 free throws in the second half while Saint John only netted 8-of-16 from the foul line.

The Storm simply outgunned the Mill Rats in the second half, and matched every run the Saint John squad made. The Storm wouldn’t be denied.

“That’s our competitive spirit,” Salerno said. “We had a couple of guys step up really big tonight. Eric Gilchrese had a good game again and Xavier Hansbro, who’s been injured the whole pre-season, hit some big shots.

The Mill Rats did a better job on both the offensive and defensive boards.

Saint John had 46 defensive rebounds to Summerside’s 36, and 16 offensive rebounds to better Summerside by one.

The Mill Rats’ Sani Ibrahim controlled the defensive boards, taking in eight rebounds, while Tisby took care of the offensive side bringing down four rebounds.

Physical play

Two Mill Rats were handed technical fouls for unsportsmanlike conduct. The first went against PJ Young for a flagrant hard hit on Gilchrese. The second was against Ibrahim for an elbow to the face of Williams.

Play under the boards at both ends was full contact. At one point there were five players on the floor – three Storm and two Mill Rats – after battling for a rebound underneath the Storm’s basket.

mcarson@journalpionerr.com

Geographic location: Saint John, Summerside

Comments

Comments

• Larry
    November 05, 2011 - 20:58

I was at both games and enjoyed it. Was not a big BBall fan but thought I would try it out and I am hooked. The only thing that I did not enjoy was the first game there was some clown close by booing the team on announcements. Some Billy Mack Daddy or some silly name he calls himself someone beside me said (one in every town I guess) but other than that it was great, Go Storm.

• Mack Mistakes
      November 06, 2011 - 17:17

The guy that was booing has NO class and doesn't know any better. I joined his little facebook group a while ago and he clearly has NO understanding of our community. For some strange reason, he even thinks municipal govrnments are responsible for ambulance service (No Mack Daddy, they're NOT, the province is.) But, like you said Larry, there is "one in every town!" By the way, Mack, do some research before commenting, stop spreading false statements about Summerside, and please don't boo the home team anymore!!!!!

• CJW
    November 05, 2011 - 08:38

What a great time! If you haven't seen the show up close and personal you don't know what you're missing. The crowd was on their feet for a standing ovation to the home team for the last 30 seconds of the game, spurred on by the players out on the floor. This is the most exciting series of events to hit Summerside in the 10 years I've lived here. Come out, come out!!

• Love the chasers
      November 07, 2011 - 15:56

To Shelly, SS and CJW you are way out of line...the girls are darling and clearly having a wonderful time. Anyone who can look at a 9 and 10 year old and think anything "inappropriate" let alone include a stripper pole in the same sentence should be locked up. Shame on you all!!!!! It is a great opportunity for these young girls and very family appropriate. I guess you would rather see a 20 year old half naked jumping around like most of the other teams have. These are young girls who aspire to be dancers. They are wearing leggings and tank tops...to think that is sexual and inappropriate well makes me think you need your head examined! Shame shame shame on you....hope you aren't my neighbor....would think about locking up my 10 year old if so....because heaven forbid...she wears tank tops and shorts!!!!

• JCF
    November 05, 2011 - 07:40

I was never a fan of basketball - until now! These guys bring CUP to life! The Team is certainly making their mark, on and off the court! I question the motives of the "Storm Chasers" co-ordinators, though. Myself and several others found the routines and the outfits quite inappropriate for the ages of those girls and the crowd they are trying to appeal to. At some points of their routines, the pole was missing! It is obvious they are working very hard, but keep the hoodies and the track pants on them! I am not a stuffy, nor unconventional type of person, but if the game needs to exploit VERY young girls like that, then the game should not be there! For every criticism you hear, there are ten you don't!

• Shelly
      November 05, 2011 - 23:15

I completely agree with what JCF is saying about the Storm Chasers and their outfits. I find them completely inappropriate for the age group. 19 and up well yes maybe but for a 9 and 10 year old.....nope not at all. I agree, hoodies and track pants were just fine by me too.

• SS
      November 06, 2011 - 07:42

I have to agree with JCF reguarding the young girls. I found it extremely inappropriate. I think the age should be revisited if not then the style of dance.