Rodeo events are cruel

Editor,

I find it sad that the Lobster Carnival has included three events called ‘Cattle Penning’ this year.

This event is cruel and dangerous to both humans, horses and cattle.

Last year during the Calgary Stampede a horse had a fatal heart attack, throwing the rider, and causing serious injuries during a novice penning event.

Cattle (cows) are intelligent beings who form close family bonds.

They are curious creatures who like to solve puzzles (‘How can I open a fence?’) and deserve our respect.

The cows will likely be terrified at this event with the noise and unfamiliar setting. The horses will also be at risk and afraid.

As sentient beings they feel pain and fear as we do.

Brenda Armour

Summerside

Comments

Comments

• Tim O
    July 13, 2011 - 12:11

I am sure that the noise you were hearing aka sizzling noise was the charolais wearing the number "1" as he sizzled on the BBQ. He was the one that continued to cross the foul line.

• Dave
    July 12, 2011 - 17:10

you are out of touch with everything! While you are sitting in your yoga circle eating organic food just remember that you are foolish. Do you kill mosquitoes or what about snakes. Go eat a tofu sandwich and leave the cow chasing to professionals and if you don't like it stay home

• Della
      July 13, 2011 - 08:23

Dear Brenda, As the President of the PEI Cattle Penning Club I would like to welcome you to contact me at any point in time should you have any questions or concerns about our sport - (902) 314-2034. Your concerns, while unfounded, are worthy of seeking answers and I'm glad to speak with you about them. It's unfortunate to see these concerns brought to such a public forum since they portray my family of farmers and animal lovers in a negative light. Team Cattle Penning is one of the fastest growing sports in North America and we pride ourselves on our ability to work together to promote the sport in safe and humane ways. Hope to hear from you, Della

• penner
    July 12, 2011 - 15:07

As a board member of the PEI Team penning Club,and one of the riders who was actually helping bring the cattle into and move them out of the arena,I can assure everyone that no electric cattle prods were being used,no matter what someone may have THOUGHT they saw.These cattle are well fed and watered,handled carefully and safely,and are constantly being watched by several people during the event for fatigue,injury or illness.In the event that one becomes sore or distressed,replacement cattle are ready to sub for them.Our horses love what they do,the cattle are treated very well(better than most in feedlots),and if someone has any questions regarding the sport,they should ask someone who knows rather than make uninformed judgements.No harm was done to ANY animal during this event.

• Anne of the Island
    July 12, 2011 - 14:12

I am guessing the person(s) who find this "inhumane" are not beef eaters?? these animals love to be controled it is in their nature to be herded. Although if electric prodes are being used, I absolutely do not agree with that, but I would have to see the proof for or against before passing judgement. We are human and for years humans have used animals for food, entertainment and as pets. I agree that on the entertainment part, animals should never be harmed, and being a barrell racer for years, I know that rodeo animals are very rarely put in that situation, sometimes a horse will try too hard and over exhurts itself, for the most part horses love to perform for you. Horse racing is just as hard on a horse, yet I am sure you take them in and even bet on your favorite. Don't be so overly sensitive, unless you have a great deal of experience working with these animals yourself, or absolute proof of abuse, its not your right or place to judge.

• Last Of The Farmboys
    July 12, 2011 - 14:02

Wow, i really don't know what to say or how to start. first of all, i am sure, the animals are not touched with a cattle prod. It would work the animals up, make them hard to work with. So, in the most respectful way that i can, post pictures or it never happened. Next question, do you know how long cattle on average go without drinking water? The hour would not effect them, you have to remember they were once plains animals, traveling long distances without any water. Next comment, well, general worries about the animal health, there are vets there on call for ALL of the animals. There are owners for the horses and the cattle, no one wants to see them hurt. It's just a bit of running around, these are not sickly animals, i farmed my whole life, and if you don't think cows like to run around, lay out fresh bedding for them. Finally, no worries about the animals, when they are being used for something like you want, food, clothing, and so on, but if it is different or new to you, it has to be wrong, evil, harmful, so on and so on. Isn't this where the old story of walking a mile in someone elses shoes, and live and let live

• horselover
    July 11, 2011 - 22:27

I was also at the event in summerside and was one of the two people with the cows. The so called "electrique prods" you mentioned are not electrique and are used for our own protection in case a cow starts to chase us. The cows love running and do it all the time so being herded like that does not bother them and does not hurt them. As for them being without water it is unnecessary to have in the ring because they are not worked hard enough to use it and have an unlimited amount in their pens outside. This event is simple for fun and is not harmful to the horses, cows or the people.

• Annie Rock
    July 11, 2011 - 17:15

Get a freakin grip people! Cattle penning is NOT a harm to cows OR horses! Perhaps we should stop the RCMP musical ride and using K9 units if you believe that animals should have a choice of what they are forced to do? and what the heck is with this "electric prods".....HAHAHAHAHHAAHA imagine! I have NEVER seen this used for cattle in any events on PEI, if such a tool was so easy to come by it would make vets' jobs a lot easier come castration and immunization time. I sure as hell hope all you animal protectors are vegans. If you had ANY IDEA how worse the animals that are used for human consumption are treated maybe you would have a second thought....Oh wow!!! "Clear liquid" coming out of it's nose and eyes???? well my heavens I guess that means that this animal recieved it's proper dosage or antibiotics and immunizations or else the liquid would not be clear and that would mean they have an infection. I persopnally know the people that own the herds that are used for cattle penning on the Island and they are NOTHING LESS than animal lovers who dedicate their lives to making sure that the ANIMALS on their farm have what they need healthwise first and foremost.....They're vet bills would probably add up to an upper class Islander's yearly salary. These people have saved and cared for more animals than any of you complainers put together....GUARANTEED.......so until you walk a mile in their shoes, you'd best not be so quick to judge.....

• Brenda Armour
      July 11, 2011 - 19:20

I did not attend the event without taking videos and pictures. The video of one man with a electic prod clearly shows it was a prod. You can hear the electic sizzle when applied to the cow. I can share it with the Journal Pioneer and will look into this to-morrow. The electic prod is against the law in many countries including Britain for rodeo events. I also have a video of several cows in distress that I can share with the media. This was cruel and inhumane for the $7.00 coverage charge. I am not a vet and have yet to understand what this discharge and rapid breathing of the cows met. But as an animal lover I know this was not good for the cows.

• Brenda Armour
    July 11, 2011 - 13:11

I went to the penning event on Sat. The cows looked peaceful in the outside pen, Then the event started . Two people had electric prods (bright red and yellow canes )to move the cows. Each cane was used numerous times outside and inside the arena. Once the cows were herded into a tight group they were forced out of the pen to be chased by a horse and his rider. The cows were terrified. Many tried to escape from the pen to the outside. They cried out . I. I followed cow number 1 who at the end of the competition was breathing heavy with a clear liquid running out of his eyes and mouth. One woman near me started to cry. It was obvious how stressful this was for them.

• Tim
      July 13, 2011 - 07:58

She was crying because her husband did not do well and they were out of the money! Get your facts straight hippie

• Tim O
      July 13, 2011 - 08:11

That sizzle you heard was from the number "1" charolais sizzling on the BBQ because he crossed the foul line too many times

• Cowgirl
      July 13, 2011 - 14:30

Try looking up a picture of a cattle prod... they are not it the shape of a cane!! And I can tell you as I am a cattle penner myself and that these are not cattle prods... they are simple plastic canes used simply to protect the people handleing the cattle.

• Kees den Boeft
    July 10, 2011 - 07:21

Innocent animals abused for personal entertainment and money should be banned.. What people do is their own choice.. these animals haven't got any choice!.. I despise all those "sporting" activities ( f.e : rodeo, fishing, dogfights, ect )... and I hope this will end worldwide..

• Epicmealtime
    July 09, 2011 - 13:14

Go watch epicmealtime on youtube, cows are ment for eating.

• kim Myers
    July 09, 2011 - 08:01

Herding cattle,on horseback has been done for centuries, it is not a New idea droned up for sheer entertainment. Horses are used to being "worked" and enjoy the excitement as much as the rider. Cattle on the other hand are raised to feed people. From the time they are born, they are used to being herded from one field to another, one barn to another, and finally to a truck that will set them on the way to your dinner table. The penning competition shows the skill of horse and rider, as well as the cooperation and skill of the team. For those people not lucky enough to know what the inner workings of farm or ranch life is like, It is exciting and educational to see these teams at work. I do understand your concern for the animals, but both are raised for a purpose, and it isn't just for looking pritty in fields as you drive by. Horses and Cattle, and the skill of the riders are an integeral part of farm/ranch life and has been since the days of the wild west...It's not bullfighting were watching here, its a penning competition....

• CattlePenner
    July 09, 2011 - 07:41

Brenda, As a seasoned rider and cattle penner, I know better than anybody the effects of the sport on both horse & rider, as well as the cows. If you took the time to talk to the people involved in the sport, you would realize how much we care about our animals. We spend more money on our animals' health care than our own most of the time. The cows are closely handled and watched during competition, with a maximum set number of runs for each heard, in order to avoid over-exhaustion. Most penners are responsible people, with the animals being our #1 concern. The horse you're talking about at the calgary stampede.. how is that different from any other athlete? Every time we step in the ring there is a risk of anything happening, but how is that different from you stepping out of your house? The horse did not suffer from a heart attack related to over-exhaustion or stress. These horses are cow-bred cutting horses, this is what they were bred to do, the horse suffering from a heart attack in the ring is no different from a person suffering from a heart attack while driving their car.

• gary naylor
      July 11, 2011 - 04:39

Most stampede horse competitors failed racing tryouts in Vancouver and if not sold would have been immediate 2 year old pet food. Instead they live a fun , competitive life and the odd one dies at age 10 to 15 years just " goin' like stink " in a race. We cannot ask the horse his preference but I know which I would choose

• Brenda Armour
      July 11, 2011 - 17:47

As far as I could observe no one was checking the cows at this event. The only two people near the pen had electic prods. I cannot imagine running cows for well over an hour was humane. They looked confused, scared and tired. No water was provided and the people near the pen were concerned as I was. I have nothing negative to say about the horses. One horse in a trailor did panic outside the arena and was kicking at the door but a woman came out and let him out. The horses were beautiful and seemed to be well treated. The cows appear to be a throw away . Penning is cruel for entertainment . Shame on those who made a profit from this event.