To the Editor,
In light of Gail Shea's spirited defense of her government's treatment of veterans, I have a few questions for her.
1. Why has her government increased the premiums on health care for veterans and other retirees by 100 per cent?
2. Why has her government decided to curtail home mail delivery for everyone? There are many seniors, including veterans, who simply cannot get to community mailboxes. To have the Minister responsible for the post office suggest that the measure would be good for seniors, and "get them out of the house," is an insult.
3. Why has her government cut over 200 federal jobs in P.E.I., including 22 that went to her cabinet colleague Peter MacKay's riding in Nova Scotia?
4. Why has her government changed the EI rules to make it more difficult for the majority of Islanders to access EI benefits? Many of these people are retirees who need to supplement their income to survive.
5. Why has she obviously condoned the conduct of Mr. Fantino, the Minister of Veterans Affairs when he insulted veterans at a recent meeting, by showing up 1 hour and 40 minutes late, and then walking out? A more recent insult involved a veteran's wife, who he repeatedly ignored, when she tried to get his attention.
6. Why has her government reduced funding to community NGOs by 40 per cent? These funds help some of the most vulnerable Islanders, including people with disabilities and seniors.
There will be a federal election in 2015, seniors, veterans, displaced workers and seasonal workers not among the favoured few, should borrow a phrase from the province of Quebec license plate, Je me souviens - I remember.
If Ms. Shea does not survive the next election she does live in an area that has the favoured EI access rules. This, along with a very generous pension, should make the loss of her $223,000 salary, plus perks, easier to bear.