Government is responsible for mess of EI for seasonal workers

Darlene Shea

Editor,
Can you believe this EI mess down here on P.E.I.? Most of the jobs on P.E.I. are seasonal. So what is going on here politicians?

There are a lot of hard workers here on P.E.I who are getting hung out to dry.

You take all our potato harvesters putting in 14-hour days for weeks in the fall and spring. Do you think they deserve to draw for two months and then they have to go out and find work or they will be disqualified from their EI benefits? The same goes for our fisheries; these fishermen put their lives on the line every day to make a living and again this job is only seasonal.

This government is forcing people to take odd jobs. But what happens when the season ends and it's time to return to your old job? You are forced to quit one job to return to another. And then the government looks at you and says, oh by the way, you now are disqualified from your EI benefits because you quit your last job.

Why not help our islanders instead of forcing them to leave P.E.I. and their families to go out West to find work and this P.E.I government has the nerve to say, oh there are lots of jobs on P.E.I. Well is that why half of P.E.I is out in Alberta working?

Time to stop clowning around and stop worrying about all your government pension packages, and start worrying more about our Islanders and the future of P.E.I.'s economy. Stop filling your own pockets with our taxpayers' dollars. Live like the rest of us, day by day, then you will get a taste of everyday reality.

Ashley Doucette

Miscouche, P.E.I.

Geographic location: P.E.I., Alberta, Miscouche

Comments

Comments

• MJ
    January 15, 2014 - 17:40

AHEM!!!!!!!

• evan
    January 15, 2014 - 17:29

its time for people to stand up to the harper government and remind them them that the government works for the people not the other way around. the time for "peaceful" protests is over its time to take our beautiful country back from the scavengers in ottawa and return it back to its former glory..remember people a generation went to war to fight for our freedom dont let the harper government take it away from us in the dead of the night!!

• Townie
    January 15, 2014 - 17:19

Those people that work year round don't get a break on the tax payers dime. In the run if a year they put in more hours. No one deserves ei for working hard. It's a safety net for when someone looses their job.

• Dawn
    January 14, 2014 - 20:19

AMEN couldn't have said it better myself I was recently layed off from my current job and already am being harassed by ei to look for work and despite my efforts checking the job bank and local supports to help find work I have had no luck at all I'm starting to think I never will and my fiancee just took a course through jvi and we figured this would open more doors but no such luck for him either we have already considered packing our bags it feels hopeless and we have 4 children to support

• R.M.Arsenault
    January 14, 2014 - 11:51

Will said and for those who wants to get more Education to better them self's no one will help them and that's why they go to seasonal job.Like fish plants,potatoes.So who is run this island us islanders or as they call them self government.

• ALLIE GALLANT
    January 14, 2014 - 05:08

I can only agree....................................................