Night of partying leads to assault

Lori A.
Lori A. Mayne

SUMMERSIDE - The young woman had passed out on a bed after partying.
She woke up to a male straddled over her, kissing her neck.

SUMMERSIDE - The young woman had passed out on a bed after partying.
She woke up to a male straddled over her, kissing her neck.
The young woman panicked and screamed. He responded by punching her in the head about five times.
He cried and apologized, saying he didn't know his own strength.
And in this city's Provincial Court Wednesday, Yancy Randall Ross of Summerside pleaded guilty to assault.
The court heard Ross, 33, is more than 10 years older than the victim. The pair had consumed whiskey and some prescription medication before she passed out.
She left the residence after the assault. Her injuries included bruising, swelling and scratches.
Defence lawyer Trish Cheverie said her client was extremely remorseful and had been very intoxicated. She said he'd received addiction treatment and was prepared to get more help.
He has no previous related record.
Considering the seriousness of the assault and the circumstances around it, Lantz sentenced Ross to 21 days in jail and 18 months probation. The probation terms include assessment, counselling and treatment and orders not to contact the victim.
Ross was also ordered to provide a DNA sample for a national databank of offenders.

Geographic location: SUMMERSIDE

Comments

Comments

• someone else
    February 04, 2014 - 17:25

this person should stay in jail! he'll never change... the amount of people he's done this to that is unreported.....

• Oldexgf
    June 21, 2010 - 19:08

Prevention people....jail is not the answer. We have to get to our children before it amounts to something like this happening.
    This man has needed help since I've know him back in School years.
    This is my point about the system failing him. If he would of gotten help and medical care (that has not been provided to him). Given support froms somewhere...maybe this would not have happened.
    Lets put our money on prevention...Not locking people up for years on end.

But again I stress: he did the crime, he does deserve the consequences that come with it. I just think he should be reabilitated. Not thrown to the wolves.

• SICKO
    June 21, 2010 - 19:07

I feel sorry for the girl. As for yancy I remember him being around when I was a teen . I dont think 21 days is enough and I hope he gets what he has coming to him.

• TO DEFENCE LAWYER
    June 21, 2010 - 19:07

OF COURSE HE IS REMORSEFUL, HE GOT CAUGHT. YOU HAVE MORE EXCUSES FOR THESE PEOPLE THEN IS
    BELIEVABLE. AS LONG AS THEY SAY THEY WON'T DO IT AGAIN YOU SEEM TO THINK THAT IS OK. YOU AND OUR JUDGE MAKE A GOOD PAIR.

• Dick
    June 21, 2010 - 19:06

I'd be remorseful too if I got caught assulting a girl who is more than 10 years younger than me who I got drunk and tried to rape while she was passed out on the booze/pill cocktail I mixed for her. This dirtbag sounds like a real winner. He gets a teenager drunk and stoned, he tries to rape her when she is passed out but when she wakes up and catches him, he decides to punch her in the face!!! Yeah....that spells winner to me! And defending him and saying that its the systems fault for not helping him doesn't help one bit. People like him need to be held accountable for their actions and suffer whatever consequences come their way instead of everybody making excuses for him and blaming the system. The only way the system is at fault is if they let this scum walk the streets again! Lock him up and throw away the key!!!

• A Girl
    June 21, 2010 - 19:06

Still up to your old tricks I see, glad you got caught this time! Hope you get what you deserve....

• BINGO
    June 21, 2010 - 19:04

Well, well well...

Crying cause he knew he was in trouble, just like most elementary kids do after pushing or teasing someone else.

Forget about the remorse, the remorse is that she woke up/came to.

Let this be a lesson to all females never trust anyone, dont drink excessive amounts and mix with meds.

I hope the young woman learns from this and discontinues her Activities or she may not be so lucky next time.

• Mystery
    June 21, 2010 - 19:03

I agree with the majority that this SCUMbag definately deserves to be punished and locked up. Sure he may be a victim of the system, but so was Ted Bundy, Charles Manson, and Jefferey Dalmer. Does that make it a plausable excuse? Perhaps some federal time would do and maybe this fellow can wake up from a deep sleep with a large black cellmate whispering sweet nothings in his ear...lol

• Alexi Kovalev
    June 21, 2010 - 19:03

Sex offenders should be put in jail, for a long time, in the general population with the other inmates....they will make sure they never violate someone else again....the system is not hard enough on these scumbags.....the jails are all full of the people getting caught for weed.....

• Oldexgf
    June 21, 2010 - 19:03

I Used to date the offender many years ago, and I know he really is remorseful.
    Hopefully he will finally get the help he needs and won't fall through the cracks the way the system has left him in the cold his whole life.
    Great guy, would love to see him get the support he needs, with addictions and mental illnesses that have gone untreated.
    Sorry for the girl as well, Im not saying this behaviour is acceptable by any means, and yes he does deserve the punnishment that goes with the offense.
    Im just saying i hope the system treats him and continues to treat him, and not just throw him back out after his sentence is up.