Electrical malfunction cause of weekend fire

Nancy
Nancy MacPhee
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

LOWER MONTAGUE — An electrical malfunction was the cause of an early-morning fire Sunday that gutted an apartment in Lower Montague. 

At 2:55 a.m. Montague Fire Department was called to a structure fire at the four-unit apartment building. Assisting them at the scene was the Cardigan Fire Department.

The fire gutted one unit and there was minor smoke and water damage in the other three units. All tenants have been temporarily displaced due to fire or smoke damage.

Deputy fire marshal Robert Arsenault investigated the fire for cause and origin and has ruled the fire as accidental.

Through his investigation it was determined that the fire originated in the kitchen of the gutted apartment, with the cause attributed to an electrical malfunction in an electric appliance on the kitchen counter.

The fire marshal’s office is reminding Islanders of the importance of proper care and maintenance of their smoke detectors, saying if a smoke detector is removed for any reason, whether it is to replace the battery or to stop the alarm from sounding while cooking, it is of utmost importance it be reinstalled immediately after the new battery is installed.

 

nmacphee@journalpioneer.com

 

Organizations: Montague Fire Department, Cardigan Fire Department

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments