Alberton man sentenced for four sexual assaults

Colin MacLean
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

SUMMERSIDE – A 55-year-old Alberton man has been sentenced to three years in jail after being found guilty of four counts of sexual assault.

Richard James Dunville was sentenced Wednesday. He had previously been found guilty on Jan. 29, 2013. His sentencing had been delayed to allow for a pre-sentence report to be compiled.

Dunville’s victim was a young woman who was known to him.

According to the previously reported facts, Dunville sexually assaulted the victim, performing various sex acts on her and attempting to have intercourse with her on one occasion, sometime between Nov. 30 and Dec. 31 of 2012, then again on March 1, 2 and 3 of 2013. During the fourth assault he did manage to have intercourse with her briefly before being interrupted.

The victim testified that the acts were not consensual and that she told Dunville throughout the assaults that she didn't want to participate.

She also said she didn't report the first incident because she was scared and confused.

The incidents in March also went unreported until she shared what had happened with her friend.

It’s a case, Judge Jeff Lantz said, that was remarkable for all the wrong reasons.

Usually when a person is found guilty or pleads guilty in a court of law the judge will take into account some of the good things the accused has going for them when determining sentence.

Lantz said he couldn’t do that in this case.

“This is a rare case of there being no mitigating factors to speak of,” he said.

In fact, Dunville’s pre-sentence report was rather damning.

His likelihood of reoffending was deemed to be moderate to high.

When asked why he originally maintained his innocence and put his victim through the trauma of a trial, Dunville he said he’d “thought he could get away with it.”

He did not come from a broken home, and while he has had problems with alcoholism, he’d been improving in recent years.

He also has several previous convictions of assault and one case of sexual assault (against a child) on his record.

However, the report also pointed out that he seems to have a greater understanding of his crime now than he had in the past. He reportedly told a counsellor that he feels worthless and ashamed for what he did.

Dunville’s lawyer had requested that he receive a sentenced of less than two years, which would have allowed him to stay on P.E.I. and close to his family.

The Crown had asked for a stiffer sentence of four years.

The maximum he could have received was 10 years in custody.

Colin.MacLean@JournalPioneer.com

@JournalPMacLean

Geographic location: P.E.I.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page