Two people unhurt as fire destroys Prince County home

Colin MacLean
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

SOUTHWEST LOT 16 – Two people and a dog escaped from a house fire in Southwest Lot 16 Thursday afternoon.

The home, a mini-home, was completely destroyed but the occupants, one of which which was in a wheelchair, got out unharmed. The property is 64 Nebraska Road.

The homeowners are being assisted by the Canadian Red Cross.

Miscouche Fire Chief Jason Woodbury said the cause of the fire was a kerosene heater that had been knocked over.

The area had been without power since about 8 p.m. Wednesday.

The owners, a man and woman, tried to put out the fire themselves, said Woodbury, but it got out of control.

The call came into Miscouche fire station at about 3 p.m., but firefighters spent the next hour trying to reach the home.

Because of Wednesday's blizzard, secondary roads like Route 12 through Central and Southwest Lot 16 had yet to be cleared.

Firefighters living on secondary roads also had a tough time just getting out to respond to the call.

Add those delays to strong wind conditions and trying to reach a water supply in a rural area, and you had a perfect storm of things factors working against you, said Woodbury.

“It was certainly challenging, we had two plows from the Department of Transportation helping us out, but we were dealing with snow drifts that were pretty much higher than our firetrucks,” he added.

Even after firefighters, including some from the Wellington Volunteer Fire Department, arrived on the scene they had trouble trying to contain the stubborn blaze.

They were eventually able knock it down, but the home was severely damaged.

Crews remained on the scene for several hours Thursday to monitor what's left of the house for flareups.

Organizations: Canadian Red Cross, Department of Transportation, Wellington Volunteer Fire Department

Geographic location: Miscouche, Prince, 64 Nebraska Road Southwest Lot

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page