Ashes in combustible container identified as cause of fire

Eric McCarthy
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

KNUTSFORD -- The provincial fire marshal’s office has determined improper disposal of ashes as the cause of a Tuesday evening fire that destroyed an attached single vehicle garage in Knutsford.

The fire was reported by a passerby around 6:10 p.m. No one was at home at the time. Firefighters from O’Leary Volunteer Fire Department were able to contain the fire to the garage without any structural damage being caused to the bungalow to which it was attached. West Point Fire Department also assisted at the scene and the Alberton Fire Department was called off while still en route.

Deputy fire marshal Robert Arsenault determined the cause through conversations with the owner of the property and with the O’Leary fire chief. He said two day-old ashes were improperly disposed of in a combustible container and left in the garage where the container subsequently ignited.

The Fire Marshal’s office consequently issued a reminder to Islanders to always dispose of ashes in non-combustible containers away from any structure. 

Organizations: O’Leary Volunteer Fire Department, Alberton Fire Department

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments