Well known Prince County doctor battling cancer

Colin MacLean

Dr. Joyce Madigane. File photo

Family asks for support and prayers

TYNE VALLEY– One of the Island’s most prominent physicians is taking indefinite medical leave, effective immediately.

Dr. Joyce Madigane told the Journal Pioneer in a statement on Monday that she currently undergoing chemotherapy at Queen Elizabeth Hospital to treat an unspecified form of cancer.

Madigane, who survived a previous bout with cancer, expressed her gratitude with the community for its understanding and well wishes.

“I would like to thank my patients, friends and neighbours and the public for their support on this journey,” she said.

Her son, Jongile Majola, is home on the Island helping his mother deal with her treatments.

He said she’s getting along well so far and added his thanks to Islanders for their understanding.

“She is holding up well, under the circumstances,” said Majola.

“We welcome the community's support and prayers.”

To read a previous article about Madigane's life story, click here.

Madigane also urged her patients not to worry about themselves, as Health P.E.I. is searching for a temporary physician to fill in for her.

Marilyn Barrett, director of primary care and chronic disease, said the process of finding someone to fill in for Madigane started about a week ago.

“We do have some people that we’re talking with, and someone has expressed some interest but there’s a process we have to go through – a lot of paperwork,” said Barrett.

In the meantime, she said fellow Tyne Valley physician Dr. Ihab Abdelmalek will be reserving two appointments a day for any of her clients with urgent needs.

Anyone with a non-urgent medical need is to asked to use a walk-in clinic or call the provincial health line at 811.

She encouraged anyone with specific questions to contact Madigane’s office, which will remain open, at 831-2659.

A native of Zimbabwe, Madigane received her medical training in the United Kingdom and has practiced medicine on P.E.I. for nearly 40 years.

She is a member of the Order of P.E.I. and in 2010 was named one of the top 25 immigrants in Canada.

She has been a staunch supporter of healthcare in West Prince and an advocate for the rights of First Nation Islanders.

Lennox Island Band Chief Matilda Ramjattan said Madigane has been the face of healthcare in her community for a whole generation of people.

“That woman put in a lot of hours, she worked herself to the bone,” said Ramjattan.

“To fill Dr. Madigane’s shoes here is going to be hard.

“We here on Lennox Island wish her all the best, we hope she overcomes this,” she said.

Colin.MacLean@JournalPioneer.com

@JournalPMacLean

Comments

Comments

• Dan and Dori
    January 14, 2014 - 17:07

Thought you may like to read this….It was great to talk with you and Erik (Colin and Kim also) on Sunday. Dan

• jeannie barlow
    January 14, 2014 - 12:19

sorry to here about the doctor she was my life saver in time valley hospital god bless you my prays are with you always

• jeannie barlow
    January 14, 2014 - 12:16

• Carletta Thornhill
    January 14, 2014 - 07:54

Best wishes to this Doctor. She is one amazing person.

• Nita
    January 13, 2014 - 22:24

We Pray all goes well for you My Dear You are a Wonderful Doctor If All our Doctors were only like you ...PRAYING for a Very Speedy Recovery.....

• janet woodside
    January 13, 2014 - 19:18

my prayers are with you dr madigane for a very speedy recovery. sending positive thought and a big hug.

• Bernice Arsenault
    January 13, 2014 - 18:25

Dr. Madigani has been my doctor for 23 years and i couldn't have asked for better care for me and my family. Many complained about the hours they waited to see her but she stayed till she saw the very last one... much appreciation for your services and Best of Luck in your healing. You'll be in my Prayers xo

• mike mackendrick
    January 13, 2014 - 17:44

Get well soon , my family and myself are thinking of you

• Janet Allen (Trowsdale)
    January 13, 2014 - 17:13

my thoughts and prayers goes out to her she has went through so much,I have known her a long time and she is a fighter, and if any one can beat this battle she is going through will be her May God Bless and Be with you

• phyllis porter
    January 13, 2014 - 17:13

So sorry to hear about Dr. Madigane's illness.I ,as well as many others will keep her in our prayers ,that she can beat this cancer.Know how much she means to citizens of Tyne Valley.She is indeed a very special lady ,Doctor,friend to so many!

• Darlene Ellands
    January 13, 2014 - 17:06

We you are were very sorry to hear that are battling cancer..our prayers go out to you...you have helped me so much in the past and I will pray for you constantly..

• Deborah Coughlin
    January 13, 2014 - 17:02

You are a great doctor hope all goes well for you . It's time for you to take a step back and look after yourself.

• arlene asling
    January 13, 2014 - 15:44

Wishing you all the best in your treatments!!

• sheila
    January 13, 2014 - 15:19

theres not many that can fill this lady shoes!! wishing you a speedy recovery dr madigane and will be saying lots of prayers for you as we owe you alot for saving that bays life you are holding in the pic