Red Cross helps couple after Charlottetown fire

Journal Pioneer Staff
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

CHARLOTTETOWN — The Canadian Red Cross is helping an elderly couple that escaped unhurt from a fire Friday night that extensively damaged their bungalow in downtown Charlottetown.

Disaster volunteers with the Canadian Red Cross have arranged emergency lodging, food, clothing purchases and other aid for the man and woman while they await an assessment from insurers.

The fire at 3 Waverly Court was reported around 7:30 p.m.

Deputy Chief Tim Mamye, of the Charlottetown Fire Department, says hot fireplace ashes in a container outside the front door ignited vinyl siding and the resulting fire quickly spread into the basement of the house, with extensive smoke and water damage on the main level.

 

Organizations: Red Cross, Charlottetown Fire Department

Geographic location: Charlottetown

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments