Two homes, one abandoned, destroyed by fire
PIUSVILLE — A smoke detector is being credited with saving the life of the occupant of an Inverness home, who escaped the Friday night blaze with minor smoke inhalation.
The fire was one of three residential fires within three days in the western part of the province. All three were being investigated by the provincial fire marshal’s office.
The Inverness was likely started by faulty wiring within the home’s walls or floor system, according to an investigation by deputy fire marshal Robert Arsenault.
The official cause has been ruled as undetermined, although Arsenault indicated that a malfunction in the home’s electrical system is likely to blame.
The resident of the home was alerted to the blaze by a smoke alarm and escaped.
The home was destroyed in the blaze.
Tyne Valley fire department responded, with assistance from Lennox Island, Wellington and O’Leary-West Cape fire departments.
The second fire happened Saturday night at a home in Piusville.
Alberton fire department responded to the blaze, with assistance from the O’Leary-West Point fire department.
That fire is still under investigation by the fire marshal.
RCMP have been called in to investigate the third fire, which destroyed an abandoned single-family home Sunday night in St. Edward.
Miminegash fire department responded to the late-night fire.
The structure was a total loss.
As a result of these fires, the fire marshal’s office is asking Islanders to ensure that their smoke detectors are in working order, with fresh batteries and that the detectors are checked regularly.