Olive Crane kicked out of PC caucus

TC Media

Olive Crane. Journal Pioneer photo

Former Progressive Conservative leader Olive Crane says she been booted from the Tory Opposition caucus.

In a telephone interview with TC Media, Crane says Opposition and Interim PC Leader Steven Myers telephoned her this afternoon to give her the bad news.

She says he did not explain why.

“He said it’s just not working and that I hate to do this on the phone but I want to tell you you’re out of caucus,” she said.

Myers called an impromptu news conference just moments ago announcing the news, but only invited two specific journalists.

Myers said he has informed the Speaker by letter that Crane is no longer a member of the PC caucus.

“While I’ve supported Olive in her own leadership during the AGM last fall when she made the decision to step down as leader, I made a commitment to the PC party of Prince Edward Island that I would do everything in my power to rebuild the party and my commitment remains the same,” Myers said.

“Unfortunately promises were made that were broken yesterday. Olive contradicted a promise that she made to our caucus when she went in the media this morning… if you take it in terms of a hockey coach, you need to know that everybody that’s going on the ice is doing the same job.”

Crane said she expects she will now sit as an independent PC MLA.

“It’s really shocking,” she said.

“Nothing surprises me with those guys and it is what it is. I guess I’ll be sitting as an independent PC person now.”

Geographic location: Prince Edward Island

Comments

Comments

• Best Wishes
    October 06, 2013 - 12:52

Commiserations, Olive, you are one of the few politicians I have met recently who has integrity and who put the interests of PEI before feathering your own nest. I wish you every success for the future, whatever it may hold!!

• Islander
    October 05, 2013 - 15:34

For Finally...Must be a Liberal...Olive Crane stood for honesty and truth. She pushed hard for discloseure on the PNP and this is the main reason she is being tossed. Both Liberals and Conseratives feasted off this money grab. All you backstabbers will get your day. What goes around comes around, it takes time. Good Luck Olive

• Bill Hicks
    October 05, 2013 - 11:20

Steven Myers is a tyrant. It's unfortunate that PEI doesn't have an opposition, as it leaves an unaccountable liberal government to operate freely. All the best to Olive and her future political endeavours.

• long time tory
    October 05, 2013 - 07:24

FINALLY

• Melvin Reeves
    October 04, 2013 - 19:53

The Backroom Boys and Myers are calling the shots again. The Tory Party has lost many many members the last two days.It is a very sad day for it,s members they have left.

• Melvin Reeves
    October 04, 2013 - 19:49

• Melvin Reeves
    October 04, 2013 - 19:38

It is a sad day for P.C. Members. I am of the opinion we lost our two best members when the next election is called they will know they have made a big mistake.I doubt they Myers and the backroom boys will have enough brains to realize it anyway

• Islander
    October 04, 2013 - 16:56

Steve Myers is a Mike Currie boy from away back. You guys did not want an honest person in there. She exposed the PNP and you guys got p..off as both the Lerals and the Conservatives played this fraus game. Right Steve? You are fooling noone. All this BS lately is falling right ion Ghiz's hands, he likes this stuff. The Conserative Party is toast all braught on by themselves. I hope th NNP picks up here or we are all done. So Sad. Olive, hold your head high, I would rather you be booted for being honest, rather than a suckhole loser like the rest. Pretty embarrassing to the electorate of PEI