ALBERTON -- A public meeting is being arranged for Wednesday, October 2 at the Alberton Fire Hall to discuss the old Maplewood Manor property.
Alberton Town Council voted 4-3 during a special meeting last week to ask the provincial government to have the building demolished.
The day after that vote, a provincial government official advised Alberton resident Randy Noye, who had been negotiating to purchase the property for development, that the Province had declined his purchase offer.
The September 17 special meeting came eight days after the regular town council meeting at which councilor Natasha Dunn received unanimous council support for a motion to advise government of its support for developing the building.
Dunn is organizing the October 2 meeting and said its purpose is to gather input on what the community would like to see done with the property. She felt residents were not given a chance to provide input for either demolition or development prior to Mayor Michael Murphy sending off letters in August asking for the property to be turned into green space, and she noted there was no opportunity for public input during the special meeting.
Noye has agreed to attend the October 2 meeting and discuss what he had proposed for the property, but he said in an interview Monday he doesn’t expect anything to change. “In my opinion, that (September 17) meeting carried a lot of weight,” Noye commented.
He had only received a phone call advising him his offer wasn’t accepted and was still awaiting the official written notice and the return of his deposit.
He anticipates government will move quickly to demolish the vacant property.
“In my opinion, that’s a done deal,” he said.
Noye said the purchase and sale agreement was clear. “Give the government some credit here. They had their t’s crossed and their i’s dotted. They were making sure that if Randy walked away from this deal, or didn’t do what he was going to do, that this building was going to revert back to the government,” he reported. “I had two years to develop it. If I didn’t meet those seven or eight points of development, well, then, all of a sudden that building went back to the government. Then they could tear it down or do what they want with it, but, at that point I’d have some money invested, so I’d be fairly stupid not to finish it.”
He believes the process fell off the rails after government received Mayor Murphy’s letters.
“Up to about two weeks prior to the mayor sending those letters, this deal was coming to a close,” he insisted.
“If people want to clear up some of the misconceptions and talk about what I was going to do, sure, I can tell them that,” Noye said.
When he made his offer to buy the property in May, Noye said, he was cautiously optimistic he could own the building and be in the process of doing renovations by July or August.