Major power outage planned for eastern P.E.I. this weekend

Maritime Electric

This weekend, Maritime Electric has planned a power outage early Sunday morning that will affect all communities from Stratford to East Point.

Maritime Electric spokeswoman Kim Griffin says they are completing upgrades their system.

The power will be out from 3:00 a.m. until 6:00 a.m.

The areas affected will be Stratford, Pownal, Mermaid, Fort Augustus, Scotchfort, Grand Tracadie, Savage Harbour, Mount Stewart, St. Peters, Morell, Goose River, Rock Barra, East Point, Red Point, Souris, Little Pond, Dingwells Mills, Georgetown, Brudenell, Montague, Victoria Cross, Murray River, Murray Harbour, Wood Islands, Point Prim, Vernon Bridge and surrounding areas.

Organizations: Maritime Electric

Geographic location: Stratford, Eastern P.E.I., Fort Augustus Mount Stewart Goose River East Point Red Point Georgetown Murray River Murray Harbour Wood Islands Vernon Bridge

Comments

Comments

• charles
    September 15, 2013 - 13:51

I am one of those evil Fortis shareholders who was also aware of this scheduled outage . Maritime electric also gave another date in case of rain. Im glad in fact that Maritime electric has a monopoly for power distribution on PEI

• The Observer From Stratford
    September 15, 2013 - 10:54

OK. I knew about the outage thanks to a vague comment on the CBC afternoon show. I didn't see or hear anything else about it anywhere at any time. There was no message on my phone's voice mail. I think ME shold have made a stronger effort to let people know. Yes it's 3:00 AM and so few would be doing anything other than sleeping but what about the few who were doing someting critical at that hour? Hopefully they were all informed. And that leads me to another question. What kind of upgrades was ME possibly doing at that hour that would require taking a good part of the Island down?

• Danny
    September 15, 2013 - 10:39

Reading comments on an article talking about a planned power outage like this makes me proud to be an islander.

• Bill Castle
    September 15, 2013 - 09:01

What are you talking about Tom? I knew about it as did my neighbours. Most people I know were not doing much between 3 a.m. and 6 a.m. so we were not bothered. By reading the web, newspapers and having the radio turned on we know what is happening around us. You should try to stay more imformed.

• tom
    September 15, 2013 - 00:27

This is unheard of. Half the Island down between 3 am and 6am? And the only way I found out was going online at 1 am. There was no notice given of this planned outage and this company has a monopoly on the Island. What a crock.

• Piet Hein
      September 15, 2013 - 08:52

Obviously Tom, you must have been doing some space travelling the last few days and have just returned to earth. There have been stories on The Guadian web, the newspaper, radio stations last week about this. People like you with nothing better to do just want to complain about things. Get a life.

• How it is...
      September 15, 2013 - 09:28

There was even an auto-dialer call from them on my voicemail telling me about the outage. Tommy, you need to stop letting minor inconveniences, like resetting your microwave clock, bother you.

• Be More Like Piet Hein
      September 15, 2013 - 09:55

Yes Tom you should get a life and be more like Piet Hein a person who never has an original post about anything. Not sure how him disagreeing with your post equates to you needing to get a life but that's typical of his maturity level.