Some of the creations that will be on display at Kool Breeze Farms 7th Annual Scarecrow Contest set for Sept. 15 at Kool Breeze Farms. Mike Carson/Journal Pioneer
SUMMERSIDE – The seventh annual Kool Breeze Farms Scarecrow contest is set to go on Sunday, Sept. 15.
The event has grown in popularity and is more than just scarecrows, says Kool Breeze Farms owner Ian Simmons.
“We can only handle so many people,” Simmons said. “Our parking lots keep getting bigger every year and our hay rides which, at one time use to be a couple of hay wagons not it’s up to four wagons that we have running. I guess you could say that we’re busting with activity.”
Simmons said about 3,00 people attend the event each year.
He got the idea for scarecrow contest while at a conference.
“I was away at an agri-tourism conference eight or nine years ago, and you see all kinds of ideas and you think what would work in Summerside P.E.I.?” he said “So you put your own spin on it.”
Simmons said in the scarecrow competition there are two categories, the business category and the personal category.
“We might get ten or 15 in each of those two categories,” he said “We added the live scarecrow component and that’s the kids that are dressed up. I’ve seen 20-plus to the low 30s entered in that. They come dressed as a scarecrow.”
Simmons said there are a lot of volunteers involved in the event because it is a community event.
“We host it because we’ve got a large property and we can do that,” he said. “But most of its done by a lot of community volunteers. It’s something that there’s more potential to but everything takes time. We certainly have a couple of things planned for next season that we’ve come across this year.”
Following is a list of prizes and events taking place at Kool Breeze Farms annual scarecrow event.
Prizes for Organization, Business or Group Scarecrow Category Sponsored by the Journal Pioneer, are: 1st place $1000 gift certificate, 2nd place $500 gift certificate and 3rd place $250 gift certificate. All gift certificates are from Journal Pioneer.
Prizes for Individual Entry Scarecrow Category are: 1st place $150, 2nd place $100 and 3rd place a $50 gift certificate.
Voting will start at 1p.m. Ballots can be picked up by the Scarecrow Entry’s and must be returned to the ballot box for tallying by 4 p.m.
- Live Scarecrow Contest Children (and the Young at Heart) sponsored by Green Diamond Equipment. Come dressed as a Live Scarecrow to win one of three prizes including: a Pedal Bike, Tractor or Combine. Judging to take place at 2:15 p.m. next to the entertainment wagon.
- Summerside Lions Club Racing events: 1:15PM - Three-Legged Race, 1:45 p.m.
Potato Sack Races, 2:15 p.m.
– Live Scarecrow Judging (by entertainment wagon), 3 p.m.
- Egg Race, 3:45 p.m. – Big Bale Race.
- entertainment by Alan Sonier will start at 1:30 p.m. and continue throughout the afternoon.
- Face Tattooing begins at 1:30 p.m. and will continue throughout the afternoon. Sponsored by the Summerside Lion’s Club and Egg Farmers of P.E.I.
- Pumpkin decorating starts at 1 p.m. and will continue throughout the afternoon. First pumpkin is free; children must be present to receive pumpkin. Sponsored by Island Petroleum.
- Farm Equipment display compliments of Green Diamond Equipment.
- Straw maze is open at anytime.
- Chris Gilfoy (that pumpkin guy) will have a demonstration table setup showing his pumpkin carvings throughout the afternoon.
- Straw Mountain is open at anytime.
- Wagon Rides will be starting at 1:30 p.m. and go throughout the afternoon
- Food is available from the Summerside Lions Club. All proceeds go to local programs.
Egg Information Area is located in the field.