Pedestrian seriously injured in Summerside

Colin MacLean

Summerside Police Services

SUMMERSIDE – The Summerside Police Service is making an appeal to the public for anyone who may have witnessed a pedestrian/motor vehicle collision on Saturday to contact them.

The crash happened at roughly 10:30 a.m. at the intersection of MacEwen Road and Carol Avenue.

The pedestrian was seriously injured and remains in Prince County Hospital.

The police have not released the exact extent of the person’s injuries or any other details of the incident.

Anyone who was a witness is asked to call police at 902-4321201.

Organizations: Summerside Police Service, Prince County Hospital

Geographic location: Summerside, MacEwen Road, Carol Avenue

Comments

Comments

• concerned
    August 19, 2013 - 16:48

I see all sorts of 'how dare you blame the pedestrians!'.. If i had a nickle for each time a PEDESTRIAN darted out into traffic because they did not want to wait the 30 seconds it would take for traffic to go by i would have one hell of a lot of nickles....A lot of you walkers are lucky most drivers pay attention!! I'm not saying the drivers are automatically innocent, not saying pedestrians need to open their eyes and realize cars are much bigger ad herder than they before they decide they have the right to walk where they wish. Get over yourselves!! no one side is right or wrong. Pay attention--no matter if you are walking or driving--and it will make all the difference in the world!! Speedy recovery to the injured.

• some people need to read over the driving book again
      August 19, 2013 - 19:25

I hate to say but if you can't look ahead and see someone crossing or about to cross a crosswalk than you shouldn't be driving. I know when I took my drivers test it is the law to stop at a crosswalk unless it's changed. that crosswalk was freshly painted ample signnage and bright daylight. If "I" had a nickel for every time I stopped at a crosswalk and two cars blew past before one stopped and the only reason it stopped was because I did. And on many occasions they will even attempt to go around on the inside. And your opinion would be different if it was your family member struck.

• concerned
      August 21, 2013 - 07:28

actually i teach my kids to act as though the cars will NOT stop. i teach them to never assume that because you are crossing the road cars will see you. I also teach them to use the crosswalks available and not dart out into traffic to shave a few seconds off their walk! Know why i do this? Because nobody pays attention anymore!!! Not drivers, and certainly not pedestrians!! You won't convince me it is always the drivers fault ( albeit this time it certainly was! ) when i see people walking down the sidewalk, cell phones to their faces and just.. step out into traffic wherever they wish and expect cars to stop on a dime for them. I've driven past crosswalks on occasion while pedestrians were waiting because there was another car directly on my tail and it wasn't safe to stop! People need to realize everyone is responsible for themselves, especially when nobody wants to pay attention. Speedy recovery to the injured.

• Why Should They Have the Right of Way?
    August 19, 2013 - 15:58

Oh, sorry, for a minute there I thought the headline read: Presbyterian Seriously Injured.

• Cory
    August 19, 2013 - 09:49

More to my point. Just went for a drive and you'd never guess what the city of Summerside is doing today......Painting crosswalks......is that a coincidence....lets get out and paint the crosswalks now when there is only a couple weeks left of Summer and tourists are starting to leave.....it takes something to happen in Summerside for anything to get done. Why wouldnt this be done in the spring. Every crosswalk shoud be painted and signs placed at each crosswalk......these are things that cost very little but make a big difference in the overall image of your community.....I often look at certain things around the communtiy and say why dont they take care of that stuff......ball fields and parks, the rinks....the community centers....etc....its hard to be proud of your city when things seem to be mis managed

• islander
    August 19, 2013 - 09:10

its not just in summerside. on saturday night i was crossing the crosswalk in stratford between the esso and needs and a guy decided he was going to go because he had a green light even though i had the walk sign. I was halfway across the road when i caught a glimpse of him out of the corner of my eye and stopped suddenly causing me to twist my knee. when i reported the guy to the RCMP the guys excuse was he didn't stop soon enough, sorry to say but you didn't stop period even when i yelled out and called you an asshole you just smiled and kept driving, hell you didn't even slow down. the speed limit on that road is 50km this guy must have been doing almost that. I am not the first person to almost get hit at that crosswalk hell i have almost been hit by vehicles coming from stratford rd turning towards the bridge while i was going straight as they think they have the right away even without the arrow. pedestrians and drivers need to look and drivers need to slow down when nearing a crosswalk as yes people just walk out without looking because they have the right of way.

• upwester
      August 19, 2013 - 09:44

Islanders in general either don't obey or know the traffic laws. Go stand in front of Holland College and Tim's on Water Street in S'Side and see what I mean. Islanders pass on double solid lines, curves or bridges, they just don't care. I watched on Sunday 4 people trying to cross Water St at crosswalk. They were in the middle of the road, crosswalk lights flashing, traffic stopped on their side and 5 cars went by in the other lane and didn't stop. If you were one of those drivers who didn't stop, you're either blind, stupid or just have no respect for the law. If police want to charge these people, just park across from Holland College and have a field day, because you know they are not going to stop for crosswalks.

• UPWESTER
      August 19, 2013 - 09:49

This is 2013. The past is dead, let it be. Time to move on. You probably remember all the bootleggers and the wonderful aroma from the west end too.

• Townie
      August 19, 2013 - 09:59

Just because pedestrians have right of way doesn't mean they are not responsible for their own safety. They need to stop, look and make eye contact with drivers before blindly jumping out into the street. Not all do this, but I am afraid for the lives of those that do. That being said, even doing this I've almost been hit, even after making eye contact with the driver who decided to hit the gas once I started to cross.

• SG
    August 19, 2013 - 08:38

The Police need to start passing our Hefty FINES at Cross Walks and Stop Signs. After a Few Hefty Fines Drivers might get the message. Hopefully they'll get the message before someone is seriously hurt or killed. All Pedestrians at Cross Walks should also Put their Arm Out to Indicate they are at a Cross Walk and look both ways before crossing.

• Cindy
      August 19, 2013 - 11:44

Too late!! He WAS SERIOUSLY injured!

• Karen
    August 19, 2013 - 08:05

This person was an elderly gentlemen walking where he has walked before many times. He was on the crosswalk. Drivers need to pay more attention and slow down near crosswalks etc. two lives have been forever changed.

• benoit
    August 19, 2013 - 07:57

I fully with Trevor Power's comment. I've noticed that pedestrians at crosswalks in larger centers, like Toronto and Montreal and Calgary, are respected. Vehicles stop a good 8 feet back. I've often seen police radar up at school zones in Ontario cities and towns to discourage speeding. Finally, though I have no proof, I wonder if PEI hasn't the highest per-capita percentage of impaired drivers of any province in Canada.

• Linda
    August 19, 2013 - 07:25

This is a very well marked crosswalk.It is the drivers Not the city at fault where this particular crosswalk is.If people would slow down and keep phones in the back pocket the stretts would be much safer.

• Ray C
      August 19, 2013 - 08:13

Driver error I am sure. I have been stopped at a crosswalk and a number of motorists passed on the right. Someone will get killed if there is no enforcement of this type of driving. A good blitz and some kind of promotion is necessary soon. Pedestrians also need to be aware you cannot just walk out unto the road without being aware of the traffic situation. More education about how to use the crosswalks is required. A few violation tickets would help

• Freddy
    August 19, 2013 - 05:48

The article doesn't indicate that the pedestrian was at a crosswalk, so many people in this city walk out in front of cars and assume the car has time to stop or will stop. Most often the pedestrian doesn't walk up to the crosswalks they just cross where ever they want. .

• Nora A.
    August 18, 2013 - 21:31

So quick to always blame the drivers. What about the pedestrians that walk into these crosswalks without so much as a glance?? As a driver, I see it all the time. EVERYONE needs to be more cautious, not just the drivers!!

• concerned
    August 18, 2013 - 19:34

yes, most people will fail to stop at crosswalks... but then most people fail to use the crosswalks anyways and just dart out into traffic, half the time without looking. Speedy recovery to the injured, but really, i'm just surprised this doesn't happen much more often ...

• Kat
    August 18, 2013 - 19:16

I can't believe the negative comments about the crosswalks. Somebody was badly injured and all you can talk about is the crosswalks!! This does not give the driver of the vehicle the right to just drive away. I don't care if the person was at a crosswalk or walking through a parking lot. Another person hit this person with his car and drove away!!! THAT is the fault of the driver, NOT the pedestrian or the lack of a visual crosswalk. I bet if this was your family member you would think twice as to who or what was to blame.

• Cindy
      August 19, 2013 - 11:52

The gentlemen pedestrian is a family member. He is elderly and is a daily walker, using the same route everyday. If you don't see someone walking directly in front of your car, then your eyes are not looking out the front window!

• islandlady
    August 18, 2013 - 19:12

I don't like walking in Summerside. I believe they need to put in the bylaw that a pedestrian ALWAYS has the right of way as is done in other cities and that would be the end of discussion. I was hit myself by a car in Summerside. My car has also been hit while parked in parking lots and no one ever stayed around or left a note. I go there as seldom as possible. If the store owners want me to shop there, they had best lobby the city for better treatment of people and cars in their parking lots.

• BobertBhiz
    August 18, 2013 - 18:54

The lazy answer? Same as before. Lower the already pathetic speed limit even lower instead of enforcing bylaws. Summerside is full of police. They have the police academy right there. You can never go more than a block without seeing a police vehicle. How about getting some police recruits to hand out official warnings to those who don't stop for pedestrians at crosswalks? People won't learn unless you force them to learn. Island drivers are lazy to the point of recklessness. They'll only snap out of their fog if they absolutely must. When the bylaws are enforced in Summerside, please come to Charlottetown, where there hasn't been a bylaw enforced since Confederation.

• Cory
    August 18, 2013 - 11:12

Im Not one bit surprised.......the city of Summerside has the worst crooswalks in the country.....every crosswalk in the city is barely visible.........every crosswalk should be painted every spring and more lighting needs to be at crosswalks.

• TOTALLY AGREE
      August 19, 2013 - 07:34

I totally agree with you statement about Summerside having the worst sidewalks. Take a drive through Summerside and there is barely an indication of a cross walk other than the few with the flashing lights and the white sign covered by trees. There are no markings on the p[avement. Take a drive through Ch'town and all crosswalks are very very well marked with blocked white paint right across the road - cannot miss the crosswalks in Ch'town - good job!

• Splash This
    August 18, 2013 - 10:00

I agree Trevor! I've been splashed by drivers in a big Rush to get to some drivethru, have had to - on more than one occasion step out and put my hand up so the driver stops and that is at a crossing where the light was flashing. At tht same crossing a few short years back it was the Police van tht didn't stop. I made my complaint at that time. Welcome to the (Not so) Gentle Island.

• Trevor Power
    August 18, 2013 - 07:03

Is it really a surprise to anyone? I rarely ever see anyone even come close to a complete stop at stop signs. Crosswalks seem to mean nothing to the majority of drivers in Summerside. It is by far the least pedestrian friendly city I have ever been to! It's funny because its the NB, Ontario and Quebec plates that seem to stop for pedestrians at the crosswalks, and more often than not they almost get rear ended!