Fire damage minimal at Peat Moss plant

Eric McCarthy
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

FOXLEY RIVER -- A fire Friday morning at a peat moss plant in Foxley River has been ruled accidental.

Provincial fire marshal Dave Rossiter said the fire appears to have originated in a peat moss sifter. He said a bearing in a shaft might have overheated causing the fire.

Damage to the Gulf Island Peat Moss plant and equipment was minimal and even the sifter should easily be repaired, he said, but admitted there was potential for great loss if the dust had ignited or the fire was able to spread to the bog.

Working with peat moss, he said, generates dust. Some of that dust, through time, settled on rafters which consequently got scorched during the fire. The dust did not ignite.

Tyne Valley Fire Department was summoned to the fire scene at 7:53 a.m. and called in O’Leary and Lennox Island departments for back-up.

Neighbouring departments were on the scene for close to two hours and helped contain the fire within the plant. The Tyne Valley department remained on the scene until around noon to make sure everything was out.

Organizations: Tyne Valley Fire Department

Geographic location: Foxley River, Tyne Valley

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • dean
    August 13, 2013 - 19:52

    My friend had fire damage near salt lake city. he got it fix. im so glad he did.