Yesterday's home fire in St. Raphael has been deemed accidental.
Robert Arsenault, deputy fire marshal, has determined that the fire started in a downstairs bedroom and was likely caused by a laptop computer that was left sitting on a pile of clothes.
Heat from the computer is believed have ignited the clothing.
The Fire Marshal's Office would like to remind Islanders to never place electronic devices anywhere where their heat cannot be properly dissipated.
ST. RAPHAEL – A fire damaged a home in St. Raphael, near Wellington, on Monday afternoon.
There were no injuries in the blaze, but a family of three has been forced to make alternative arrangements.
The Red Cross has already started the process of helping the family with finding a place to stay and providing short-term supplies.
Desmond Arsenault, spokesman for the Wellington Volunteer Fire Department, said the family is fortunate to have been forewarned of the danger.
“They were alerted by a smoke detector that there was smoke in the house, and they realized quickly that there was a fire in the basement,” said Arsenault.
The two-storey home is on St. Raphael Road.
The Wellington fire department was dispatched at about 3 p.m., with the Miscouche Volunteer Fire Department being sent as backup shortly thereafter.
There was no word at press deadline as to what might have caused the blaze.