Licence fees in place for transient businesses

Mike Carson
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Summerside City Hall

SUMMERSIDE - Mobile sales establishments will now have to pay to operate in Summerside.

Council has amended the city's licensing bylaw to require the fees for local and non-local mobile sales establishments. Council set the fees at $500 for local vendors, businesses that own property within the city, and $1,000 for non-local. The licences are valid for one year.

The move comes in reaction to concerns filed by local businesses that they are put at a competitive disadvantage when transient sales operations are allowed to operate free-of-charge within city limits.

"The feedback that we have received from our membership was that there were concerns about transient sales people being able to come to Summerside and sell and compete without having the burden overhead and burden of fees," said Patrick McSweeney president of the Greater Summerside Chamber of Commerce.

"We also had concerns about people going to Charlottetown and being forced to pay those fees."

In October 2011, Charlottetown enacted the Transient Traders Bylaw, which requires any outside vendors, who do not operate on a permanent basis in the city, to have a licence to conduct business.

The licence costs $500 per day of operation and any person violating the licensing procedure is guilty of an offense and liable on conviction.

A first offence is punishable by a fine of $1,000 and subsequent offences are punishable by a fine of up to $500 for each day to a maximum fine of $5,000.

Amherst, N.S., has passed an Auto Vendors Bylaw to control the activities of outside firms setting up shop for a weekend to sell cars.

The bylaw requires a $2,000 per day licencing fee and those companies found guilty of operating without a license are liable for a maximum $10,000 fine per day.

Applicants must have a designated location and operate from that site. If an operator wishes to take part in a special event, such as the Summerside Lobster Carnival or a sports tournament or other activity, written permission from the event's organizing committee must be presented to city council at least three days prior to the event.

"We felt it was a city issue and the city has addressed it and it should make it a more fair playing field for our members," McSweeney said.

Up until 2004, Summerside did require licensing fees but opted to drop the provision.

Licences were granted on an individual basis at the discretion of council.

With the reinstatement of the licencing fees, Summerside is now in line with other municipalities in the Maritimes.

Violations of the city's bylaw carry fines of up $1,000. Each day the violation continues will be treated as a separate offence.

Organizations: Greater Summerside Chamber of Commerce

Geographic location: SUMMERSIDE, Charlottetown, Amherst

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • Karen
    February 26, 2013 - 09:42

    So when I put my vehicle for sale in the Walmart parking lot, do I have to pay $500.00 per day for a licence or do I need a licence?

  • Billy
    February 26, 2013 - 09:29

    Did I read licences cost $500.00 per day of operation! Thats a lot of hot dogs.

  • Summerside Resident
    February 25, 2013 - 15:35

    Open the books on Route 2 ( Terry Murphy pet project that cost millions). Another pipe dream Terry & Basil had along with the witch hunt on Dave Griffin, the Concert Fiasco, Smart Grid. Where is the City Forensic Audit. This will drive the Mayor and the so called gang of four out of office. We are talking millions here folks of hard earned peoples money in the hands of a bunch of misfits. Yes Bruce MacDougall, you are the financial man for to many years as Deputy Mayor.

  • Maggie
    February 25, 2013 - 14:25

    Hmmmmmmmmmmm! Maybe rural areas should have Route2 pay fees in rural area community groups.....what is good for the goose is good for council! This would help offset the losses Route2 is inccuring by providing service to rural areas at reduced noncompetive prices (loss leaders.....also known as predatory pricing). I am sure town tax payers would like to not subsidize this RURAL service from their hard earned TAXE payments. Hey council might be worth a look at the books of Route2 to really see the financial picture!!

  • Maggie
    February 25, 2013 - 14:15

    So let me understand this. Nonresident / rural folks have to pay double fees because these folks don't pay property tax inside the city. Actually, rural folks do pay property tax indirectly via goods and services purchased from city folks. The city always wants it their way. Well how about that Route 2 system using city folks tax dollars to unfairly compete with existing internet providers in rural areas. One would think maybe they (the city) needs to pay double fees in the rural areas. Do city tax payers really understand that they are losing money in the rural areas? Check it out!

  • Adam
    February 25, 2013 - 12:27

    Way to drive new business out of Summerside. Has anyone looked around here lately? This town is dying, and it's because of all the red tape!