O’Leary VFD responds to flue fire

Eric McCarthy
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

PORTAGE -- On the coldest day of the year Wednesday, O’Leary fire fighters were called to a flue fire in Portage.

Deputy chief Eric Gavin said the 13 fire fighters who responded were able to quickly extinguish the fire.

Although there was no apparent damage to the house or the flue, Gavin said the home owners were advised to get their flue inspected before relighting their stove.

Gavin said creosote buildup was the likely cause of the flue fire.

Gavin said creosote typically builds up during warmer weather when draughts in the heating systems are turned down. Then when the weather turns cold the draughts are opened up and that pushes more heat up the flue, which increases the chances that the buildup of creosote will ignite.

Geographic location: PORTAGE

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments