UPDATED: Giant Tiger replacing Summerside Zellers

Colin MacLean

Canadian retailer Giant Tiger has announced that it will take over at least part of the current Summerside Zellers location when that store closes this spring.

The company made the announcement via a press release on Thursday.

This will be the retailer's first location on Prince Edward Island.

The company is thrilled to be expanding to the Island, wrote Greg Farrell, president and chief operations officer of Giant Tiger Stores Limited.

"The residents of Prince Edward Island have been asking us for a long time to bring our unique brand values to the Island and we can't wait to have the Summerside store as a part of the Giant Tiger family," said Farrell.

Giant Tiger expects to occupy about 19,000 square feet of the current Zellers location at the County Fair Mall.

The release stated that the new store is expected to open its doors on April 19, 2014. There was no reason given as to why the opening date is more than a year away.

Giant Tiger has more than 200 locations across Canada and employs more than 7,000 people.  It was founded in 1961 in Ottawa’s Byward Market.

Comments

Comments

• todd
    January 15, 2013 - 16:55

I live in Ch'town and I will go up to shop there I think it's great.

• enough
    January 14, 2013 - 08:51

I was in both stores, and Target is no better than Giant Tiger.....in fact worse crapola than Giant Tiger.

• PCFred
    January 12, 2013 - 19:57

All well and good, but will this Tiger be sedated? My cousin was almost bit by one in a mall in Ontario.

• Taliesyn
    January 11, 2013 - 13:30

Zellers in Summerside has about 96,000 square feet of space, 'cos they try to sell "everything" on the planet. After surveying some new and renovated Giant Tiger stores on the Internet, I found that the average size of a "typical" Giant Tiger store was about 19,000 square feet - the size they plan to open for Summerside. Giant Tiger is not in the market to directly compete with the Zellers, Walmarts and Targets, so they don't need 96,000 square feet. They do their own, somewhat limited thing, but are highly successful at it - unlike the Hart chain that recently went bankrupt . . . followed by Zellers (not bankrupt but probably losing money for several years).

• yvonne
    January 11, 2013 - 09:07

Don't we LOVE to complain

• Despierto
    January 11, 2013 - 08:24

19,000sf is only a fraction of the size of the current Zellers store.

• OH JOY - NOT
    January 11, 2013 - 05:52

Boy, do I have to agree with "Garbage" and "Summerside Resident". We have some nice specialty stores for the higher end, but nothing for the "regular" person to buy clothing and other department store items. Yes, we have Wal-Mart, but it would have been better to have a Target, Sears or even Costco come to Summerside instead of another "dollar store" with cheap items. I think my family will be spending more of our dollars outside of Summerside too, unfortunately.

• Taliesyn
      January 11, 2013 - 10:19

I'm writing from the Montreal area. I can't believe someone called it a "Dollar Store". I shop there regularly and would be hard pressed to find anything for a dollar! They don't even carry "Dollarama-type" items! For those who have never seen one, it's simply a combination department/grocery store. In our suburban town we have 4 major chain grocery stores (IGA, Metro, Maxi & Super C) but a mile away, and yet I often see people with full grocery carts of food at the cash. Why? Price. As for non-foodstuffs, most of my clothes are bought there too - often at 1/2 the price what I'd pay for something about the same quality at Walmart. Their specialty is exclusive items not found in other grocery stores or department stores. One of my favs is"Ol Grandad" chips from Ontario (made in USA). You can't find them anywhere but at Tiger. They sell out almost as soon as they stock 'em! A Tiger in Summerside will be a welcome sight for me since we're planning to move there soon!

• judy
    January 10, 2013 - 19:10

i think that giant tiger will do good in summerside .as for being a dollar store i dont know where you get this idea as we have a couple of giant tiger stores in ontario and they are not dollar stores they have a lot of good things .and at reable prices .summerside needs something eles besides walmart .

• Good news
    January 10, 2013 - 18:20

We are not losing Zellers jobs and revenue is coming in. Maybe not the best store to have, but if it was not filling the space other stores may have had to close due to lack of places to shop.

• Go Canada
    January 10, 2013 - 17:41

I, for one, am VERY excited about this!! We are getting a CANADIAN store with great items, prices, deals! I'm just sad it isn't opening until 2014!! Hope they change their minds and get it together before then!

• dee dee
    January 10, 2013 - 16:49

if you are going out of town to shop let me know wich route you will be takeing so i can open up another gas station and at least get some of all the dollars you got to burn!!!!! lol lol lol lol

• Violet
    January 10, 2013 - 16:08

It is really hard to bring good stores to Summerside when half the population of Summerside shops across, in the US or online and pretty much everything you buy is made or assembled in China if you read the label. If you want quality stores here start spending your money here and be thankful that there will be jobs created

• Despierto
    January 10, 2013 - 14:48

19,000sf is only a fraction of the current Zellers area.

• Summerside resident
    January 10, 2013 - 12:29

Charlottetown gets Target--with it's Isaac Mizrahi designed clothes and we get Giant Tiger--a dollar store with larger items. Somehow I think they got a MUCH better deal. Sorry, but I guess this means I'll be taking even more of my shopping dollars out of Summerside. I want to shop locally, but it can be hard with the lack of selection and value.

• Garbage
    January 10, 2013 - 11:29

Great another store filled with crapola from China