SUMMERSIDE — The provincial government is hosting a series of outreach information sessions for Island business owners and operators in the wake of the introduction in 2013 of the harmonized sales tax (HST).
The sessions are being held in collaboration with the Canada Revenue Agency in locations across the province beginning mid January.
The sessions, which focus on HST business readiness and the wind down of the provincial sales tax (PST), will provide on the implementation of the HST specific to various Island industries, from construction, tourism and hospitality to retail, non-profit organizations and the service industry.
At each session, business owners and operators will have a chance to ask questions and each will include a presentation from PST subject matter experts on what businesses need to know regarding that sales tax winding down.
Deadline for registration for sessions is Jan. 4. To register, email email@example.com; call 1-800-236-5196 or 368-4171.
Sessions with less than 10 registered attendees may be incorporated into other sessions. Those impacted will be contacted with new times and locations.
Here are some of the upcoming sessions slated in Prince County:
- Jan. 21 — Credit Union Place – construction session
- Jan. 22 — Credit Union Place – service provider I session
- Jan. 23 — Rural Action Centre, Central Bedeque – natural resources session
- Jan. 24 — Credit Union Place – tourism and hospitality session
- Jan. 29 — Rural Action Centre, Alberton – retailers/manufacturers session
- Jan. 31 — Credit Union place — tourism and hospitality session
The CRA will also be holding webinars on the implementation of the HST on the Island. Information on webinars can be found at webcastcanada.ca/hst-tvh.
For more details on each session, visit www.peihst.ca/meetings.
The HST comes into effect on April 1, 2013.