Man dies in Norway collision

Latest news

NORWAY --A single vehicle collision near Tignish early this morning has claimed the life of a 20 year-old from Anglo Tignish.

RCMP is withholding the name of the deceased until next of kin have been notified.

Three people were in the vehicle and all were transported to Prince County Hospital by Island EMS where one person succumbed to his injuries. A 17 year-old female from Anglo Tignish was later transferred to Queen Elizabeth Hospital suffering from extensive injuries. A 20 year-old male from St. Felix remains at Prince County Hospital.

The accident was reported at 2:03 a.m.

Tignish Fire Department also assisted at the scene.

Police report that a 1991 Ford Mustang left Route 182 in Norway and struck a concrete culvert and a power pole, causing extreme damage to the vehicle.

From their initial investigation police have determined speed and alcohol were contributing factors in the collision. They add that the overall investigation is likely to take weeks to complete before it will be determined if any charges will be laid.

Organizations: Prince County Hospital, RCMP, Queen Elizabeth Hospital Tignish Fire Department

Geographic location: Norway, Tignish

Comments

Comments

• STay Safe
    December 24, 2012 - 07:14

Please stay safe over the holidays and always. The families that are suffering have lost enough. Call 911 if you suspect an impaired driver. Stop your family and friends from driving under any influence. Call 911 and report family and friends it may save their life and others. It is never okay to drive impaired.

• Don't let friends and family drive drunk
    December 23, 2012 - 09:59

Stop friends and family from driving drunk. If you can't, call 911

• Ticked Off
    December 21, 2012 - 14:18

Don, i don't think the drinking age has anything to do with this young man's death.Every time a young person dies it's idiots like you Don that start barking,it is not only young people that are killed by drinking and driving,we just need stricter laws.

• don
    December 21, 2012 - 10:29

my condolences to the family.another life lost due to drinking. i hope the people that sold him the booze likes the money they made on his life.they did not force him to drink. but another life gone. when will they learn.when will the government increase the legal age from 19 to 25 at least theses babies will have grown up some. and MAKE some of theses drunks see the bloody bodies and dead bodies after they sober up.

• HMMM
      December 21, 2012 - 18:35

Of course another stupid comment from you. Sometimes age has nothing to do with it .

• Seriously
      December 22, 2012 - 08:42

Seriously? increase the drinking age to 25? and what do you think about the underage kids getting alcohol now, there gonna find a way to get it whether they are legal or not.. so increasing the drinking age is NOT going to help one bit. Coming from a family that has dealt with alcoholism and drinking and driving.. nothing stops them.. the only one reason that it has stopped for one person in my family is that a 2 mini strokes, 1 major stroke and a near heart attack forced him to quit drinking completely!!!! There is a reason why I do not drink myself, because I know if I have to leave the party or place I am at, I want to get home in one piece... I made it very clear that my boyfriend can drink when we are together, and I will stay sober and drive us anywheres and same for his friends, they know they can call me anytime they want. But where do you get off saying that increasing the drinking age to 25 is going to help, they are still going to get alcohol one way or another, just like no matter how many drug dealers are off the streets they are still going to find the drugs. What they need to do is make the driver training courses tougher, and actually have someone come in from the RCMP and show videos on drinking and driving, my Highschool created a video through S.A.D.D that portrayed drunk driving through the students at my school, when I watched the video for the first time, and even now, my heart drops , and I get scared... you can preach all you want, but until these people get into a situation themselves about drinking and driving they WILL NOT learn.

• Sonia
    December 21, 2012 - 09:06

Sorry for the losses of the families especially this time a year...!!