Robert Arsenault, the province’s deputy fire marshal, has ruled the fire accidental.
Fire broke out at the blue and white, two-storey, century-old home just before midnight Wednesday and was called in by neighbours.
The homeowner was at work at the time. No one was hurt in the blaze.
Arsenault was on site Thursday and Friday sifting through rubble in an attempt to determine the fire’s cause.
He said Monday that the fire started on the home’s second floor but due to the extensive damage its exact origin and cause could not be determined.
“There was no other competent ignition source that said look I started it,” added Arsenault. “When we look at it and the nature of where the fire was in the house and those kind of things… the only competent ignition source was electrical.”
It took more than an hour to put out the fire. Since it was a more rural area with no fire hydrants, water had to be trucked in from Summerside.
The home is a loss. The homeowner did have insurance.